Tip chart on the back of my new business cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tip chart on the back of my new business cards

Last December I ordered new business cards. I had the option of putting something on the back, and thought a tip chart would be useful. Clients would carry my card and pull it out when calculating the amount to tip while dining out, etc.

I enclosed two cards w/ my annual questionnaire/tax letter. I paper clipped the cards to the tax letter w/ the tip chart on the back showing. I didn't have room in my letter to explain what the tip chart was for, and thought my clients would figure it out.

This evening my last client was over and picked up one of my cards from my desk and said "What is this about Ross, are you asking for tips?". I laughed, then said, "No, it is a handy thing to have when you are dining out, etc.". He said "I thought you were asking for tips! If you want more money, just charge more!".

Well, I probably don't charge as much as I should, being that I have a day job and just do taxes on the side out of my house. I do get a few tips each year.....some folks pay me $10 or $20 more. But now that I think about it, I had a few more tips than normal this year! I even got a $50 tip on a $100 invoice.

In next year's tax letter I'll explain the purpose of the tip chart on the back of my card. I didn't realize that I looked like a panhandler this year! LOL!

That is funny!

You know, maybe putting a referral discount on the back of a business card would be a good idea...hmmm...

Comment

What else

could it look like Ross? I know this wasn't your intent, but what would make a customer think differently?

Reality check. Imagine being at a restaurant and pulling out a calling card from your tax practitioner to look for a proper amount to tip. "Oh this?? I carry it around all year long in my pocket any time I go to a restaurant!!"

Award for original thinking Ross, but since the above is unlikely to occur, the client is left with no other thought than you are soliciting tips. Think about it....

Next time you order cards, you might slightly alter your idea and put a tax calendar on the back.

"O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
      To see oursels as ithers see us!" - Robert Burns
      Last edited by Golden Rocket; 04-20-2011, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X