Estate Extension e-file rejected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Estate Extension e-file rejected

Hmm. I e-file the extension for this estate (1041) in 2009 (for 2008) without a problem. Since then, I have rolled over the return (no computer crashes or anything). The extension request is now being rejected with an error in the name and/or FEIN. I talked to the PR, who assured me that she has not changed the name.

Any ideas about what is going on?
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Name Control

The only trouble I have had with those types of returns has been with getting the name control exactly correct.
    It is the first four letters of the official name as shown on the SS4, not counting "the" or similar.
    AJ, EA

Comment

Thanks

Thanks, AJ. I have the first four letters of the last name of the decedent, which is what the directions say to do. I do not have them all capitalized, which I will try next. Whew.

Comment

Progress

I also changed "Estate of (Name)" to "(Name) Estate"

Success! Wow, not sure this one was worth it. The old Post Office was starting to look like an old friend.

Comment

not the last name

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
          I also changed "Estate of (Name)" to "(Name) Estate"

Success! Wow, not sure this one was worth it. The old Post Office was starting to look like an old friend.
          As you figured out, though a different way, it is not often the last name now. There is a special phone number to call for those problems, I dont have it handy, but the best way is to get the original ss4 and look at how it is on there..Most ofter it will be John H. Doe Estate, therefor the name verification will be john. caps dont matter that I know of. It is not the old way..Is a real pain on setting up 941 efiles for businesses also. You have to know exactly what the name was on the SS4.
          AJ, EA

Comment

I've noticed that the name control is not constant. I have one partnership that used the first name in 2008, then it chamged to the "last name " in 2009. This year it changed again to the first name. A little consistancy would be nice.

Comment

Working...
            X