Need to let go 2 clients this summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to let go 2 clients this summer

Had both for nearly 5 yrs and while I tried to help them get organized and from what I thought was looking good, they are having a relapse and now they questioning my fees more then ever. One mentioned self preparing so I see that as my ticket. I will email them telling them I believe my "tax organizer" continues to be a challage for them and since they mentioned self preparing, I would suggest they consider it. Do I really think they can do it, if they put their mind to it for which I dont think they can or want to. The other client, becoming to much of a risk. Someone told me a while back, one of 2 things will happen to those clients when they receive their Dear John letter; 1. they continue their ways or 2; they have no choice, especially if they received previous Dear John letters, but to change their ways. I dont recall ever having a #2 client come my way. Stubborness and pigheadedness can run to and into the bone.

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
    Had both for nearly 5 yrs and while I tried to help them get organized and from what I thought was looking good, they are having a relapse and now they questioning my fees more then ever. One mentioned self preparing so I see that as my ticket. I will email them telling them I believe my "tax organizer" continues to be a challage for them and since they mentioned self preparing, I would suggest they consider it. Do I really think they can do it, if they put their mind to it for which I dont think they can or want to. The other client, becoming to much of a risk. Someone told me a while back, one of 2 things will happen to those clients when they receive their Dear John letter; 1. they continue their ways or 2; they have no choice, especially if they received previous Dear John letters, but to change their ways. I dont recall ever having a #2 client come my way. Stubborness and pigheadedness can run to and into the bone.
    I want to write a Dear John letter this summer too for 2 of my 'old-spoiled' clients.

What would you suggest in saying without me telling them==I AM FED UP!
    SueBaby

Comment

Just keep it short and simple. Tell them you will no longer be able to prepare their taxes in the future. Wish them the best and be done with them. Don't make up excuses like "I am changing the type of client I serve", unless this is the truth. The letter I have used to fire clients is only 3 sentences long and does the job.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
        Stubborness and pigheadedness can run to and into the bone.
        It's useless to try and teach a pig to sing.
        All you get for your efforts is bad music and a frustrated pig.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Bad Clients

I have been doing this for 30+ years and always try extremely hard to serve the client and organize the difficult or non-existent data they bring. When they start questioning fees it makes me feel bad because I have spent $1,200 worth of time to prepare a $300 return and they still are unhappy.

I have told them to organize the data and the bill may drop slightly. They never do this. One client took his stuff to a local bar and the barmade made an attempt but it too fell far short of organized.

I write them a letter and just tell them I don't want to do their return anymore. I tell them that the time it would take to prepare the return to my standards would greatly exceed their estimate of what a return should cost and it is no longer a good fit. Wish them well with their new accountant.

You will sleep better.

Comment

As mentioned in my initial post, 1 mentioned DIY

I am going to encourage her to go that route since my ProSeries is compatible to TurboTax which is the DIY software I am recommending. So if she runs in trouble, she can email her TT file to me but she will know I will still need to charge her. I believe what is going to happen is she will see what a nightmare operating TT will be since it will be her first time, not software/computer savy and how many hours it will take her but she is the type of person who is not a fan of being instructed on how to organize and has her own little system. Year after year I am more of a believer of “never cross a bridge you may need to cross” therefore this could be the only option to potentially get her back as a client with hopefully a more appreciative attitude of me, her professional tax preparer.

Comment

Why encourage her one way or the other? Are you sure your encouragement that she DIY with Turbox or any other software isn't opening you up to some sort of problem, like she makes a mistake and says "My accountant told me to"? Why borrow trouble by advising your client on something that is after-the-fact when you and she simply don't agree on what your services are worth?

Comment

Well I will see how its goes

It my be a big headache or may turn her around. I will know this time next year from now.

Comment

Originally posted by SueBaby View Post
                  I want to write a Dear John letter this summer too for 2 of my 'old-spoiled' clients.

What would you suggest in saying without me telling them==I AM FED UP!
                  Hi Sue - I agree with KBTS and would add that you have returned all of their original documents and that there are no pending tax issues of which you are aware.

Well, assuming that's true

Comment

Please don't fire any clients. They just end up at our desks. I can't take the stress!!!!!!!!!!
                    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Working...
                    X