1099-A without FMV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099-A without FMV

I raised this question before and it sunk like a stone, which is not typical of this forum, so I'm giving it one more try:

Partnership with foreclosure on rental property late in 2010. 1099-A received with loan balance, but no FMV. Indicated as personally liable for repayment of debt. Definitely under water when foreclosed. Presumably a 1099-C will appear (for 2011?) when the property is disposed of. Without either an FMV or a 1099-C, how do I handle this for 2010? Without the 1099-C there is no debt relief income, and without an FMV you can't calculate proceeds of the imputed sale.
    Evan Appelman, EA

Well, the obvious answer is whether stated or not, the property clearly has a FMV. One option would be to pay someone to appraise the property as of the date of abandonment.

Comment

My quick take on the 1099-A instructions for FMV boils down to "Here's what to enter for a foreclosure, voluntary conveyance, or abandonment. In all other cases, leave it blank."

I'm not sure what other cases there could be for real property. I suppose it could be repossession for personal property, but I've never heard of repossession for real property. A deed of trust, from my little bit of reading about CA foreclosures, doesn't seem to imply a transfer of ownership at abandonment or any other identifiable event until the (non-judicial) foreclosure.

On the other hand, Pub 4681 says that for an abandonment, there's an ordinary loss equal to your adjusted basis, but if there's a subsequent foreclosure, then the loss must be recomputed, presumably as a capital loss, using the foreclosure price. But I won't stand behind this interpretation without confirmation from someone with more experience.

So this isn't an answer, just an indication of why you may not have gotten an answer.

Comment

Working...
      X