Nonresident State Returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nonresident State Returns

I have a client that worked in California for the last three months of 2010. He is a subcontractor. I am really tired and this was brought in last minute.

I am thinking that I should do a California Non-Resident tax return. Is this correct?

Also since he still has a home in Georgia he is a resident there and that income would be excluded since it was not earned in Georgia. Is that correct?

Thank you for any help. Just losing some brain cells now I think.
    Dany

Yes, and Yes, and by the way . . .

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
    I have a client that worked in California for the last three months of 2010. He is a subcontractor. I am really tired and this was brought in last minute.

I am thinking that I should do a California Non-Resident tax return. Is this correct?

Also since he still has a home in Georgia he is a resident there and that income would be excluded since it was not earned in Georgia. Is that correct?

Thank you for any help. Just losing some brain cells now I think.
    Dany
    can you spell e-x-t-e-n-s-i-o-n ?
    Just because I look dumb does not mean I am not.

Comment

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
      As far as I know, every state with an income tax will tax the world-wide income of their residents. Generally, when the income is subject to taxation by a different jurisdiction, they calculate a credit based on the tax paid to the other jurisdiction; they don't simply exclude that income from taxation. (Otherwise people living in GA and working in FL would be paying no state income tax at all on that income.)

But also double check the client's intended domicile. My recollection is that CA is pretty generous on the issue of people working in-state with no intent of staying, but it's worth being sure.

Comment

Thank you both for responding.

True don't know what I was thinking about excluding all that income from Georgia.

I will be getting them an extension. I told them when they came by and they said "ours is easy though". If they only knew

Thanks again
        DAny

Comment

Working...
        X