extra Tuition Credits hurts software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

extra Tuition Credits hurts software

I have Four children in college, and thus have four American Opp credits to take this year. But when I entered the data into my HRBlock software, it refused to handle the fourth, and removed the calc of the 1st three out of my 1040 Return. It will allow me to override only, to enter the fourth. And it won't let me efile. I will have to create schedules with all the info for the four students, and send in along with my printed return.

Question: does anyone know of any software that will handle this better for me, so that I can efile?

Much obliged.

Professional Software

Most professional tax preparation software works fine for us. Are you an HRB preparer or using their personal software? Did you call HRB support? You might want to look for a HRB users' forum.

Comment

This is their personal software, although I have prepared for them in the past. Did call HRB support, and spent lots of time directing them to what I already knew. I think I got the override to work, but I would still rather efile. Guess I'll try TurboTax. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by whatdoiknow View Post

it refused to handle the fourth
        The form only has fields for 3 AOC students, but in your software can you link to a statement for overflow names when you are in one of the name fields?

Comment

Not really. The software accepts the data, but does nothing with it. Then when I go to the Form itself, it mentions an override to the totals on the Form (which only shows 3 lines), and that you have to create schedules for all the students to attach to your Return. It tells you you can't efile with more than 3 students claiming the AO Credit.

So, I guess I have to just do that. A friend who actively prepares, said don't bother efiling, and that TurboTax won't handle it any different probably, since the Form only accepts three students.

Comment

Working...
          X