bank rejected deposit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bank rejected deposit

because first four numbers were added to account. Bank said TP could call and get it re deposited or it would be mailed. Is there a telephone number for that? It's been a week since the initial deposit. Too late? How long does it take to get it back by mail after the reject?

You needed to get the new info in by Weds evening to prevent a check from being printed. Checks are mailed Fri or Mon depending on IRS center and mail volume

Comment

For future information - How do you get the info in? Phone? What number would I have used?

Comment

Originally posted by snowshine View Post
        You needed to get the new info in by Weds evening to prevent a check from being printed. Checks are mailed Fri or Mon depending on IRS center and mail volume
        What now? The return has already been filed, so what "new info" should be "in" by Weds evening?

As far as I know at this stage of the game there is nothing a taxpayer can do. Certainly no U S Treasury employee will manually intervene.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by JenMO View Post
          because first four numbers were added to account. Bank said TP could call and get it re deposited or it would be mailed. Is there a telephone number for that? It's been a week since the initial deposit. Too late? How long does it take to get it back by mail after the reject?
          It is my understanding if it rejects EFT, it goes automatically to check-writing and will go out on next scheduled cycle. Might take 1-2 weeks depending on actual date.

Comment

Automatic default adds time

First four numbers were added...????

I agree with Burke. A "bad" account number for a requested direct deposit just kicks you automatically into the paper check cycle, adding a minimum of an extra week (and likely two?) to the expected refund date which was "promised" for a direct deposit situation.

This just goes to the matter of getting the account number correct, including leading zeros or account type code numerical prefixes et al, in the first place ("Show me the check!!"). It is time well spent to ask the client "Are you sure?!?" about the relevant account information.

FE

Comment

First 4 numbers

Could have been the actual Check # that the information was derived from.
              I looked at a check today, first 4 numbers were the actual check # - then next group was the bank routing number, and the next group the Acct number.

Sandy

Comment

I just had one (a credit union) which was not a new account, one we had used for years, but they added 1001 to the front of the account number on the new checks.

Comment

On my tax organizer

I ask for them to enter their RT# and Chk Acct# for direct deposit. Then I double check it for accuracy. For repeat clients, I just asked them if they want to use the same RT# and Chk Acct# as previous yrs. The need to check the box. So far eveyone compeleted that part. Before I had this on my tax organizer, I had one client change their checking acct to another bank and accused me of not asking for which I believe I did. Never the less they were MAD, how mad, no longer my client.

Comment

I have all of my clients sign a "Bank Verification for Direct Deposit" that my software provides, if they change the account information, I ask for a copy of their check.

I have only one "glitch" in the last 3 years

Sandy

Comment

Repeating myself

Originally posted by S T View Post
                      Could have been the actual Check # that the information was derived from.
                      I looked at a check today, first 4 numbers were the actual check # - then next group was the bank routing number, and the next group the Acct number.

Sandy
                      Yep. Lots of people make that error (putting a check # as part of the DAN/RTN info). You have to look for the vertical bar + colon spacer to see where the real numbers start.

As banks are changing/merging/whatever it is not uncommon for them to expand the account number with additional leading numbers. In many instances the "old" checks may still work, but will eventually fail. The client may be quite correct that the account number "is the same" when, in reality, it is not.

So, as I said before....."show me the check!" I also have the client sign off on a worksheet I prepared that lists the name of the bank (OK...not needed), the RTN, the DAN, and a checking/savings box. I staple that worksheet to the Form 8879 along with "You MUST return these forms to me!" header. THAT information is what I eventually enter/verify on the tax returns for efiling (refunds/balance due/future 2011 federal estimated payments) and if there is any problem my own posterior is covered.

FE

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                        It is my understanding if it rejects EFT, it goes automatically to check-writing and will go out on next scheduled cycle. Might take 1-2 weeks depending on actual date.
                        Burke you are correct
                        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

A bank rejection is the good case. The bad case is when the number matches a different account, and the bank doesn't care that the names don't match.

Comment

Sorry, I was remembering how it worked with RAC deposits, IRS doesn't do this of course <facepalm>

Comment

I ask new people for a copy of a check, not a deposit ticket. I ask returning people if they want it to go in same account as last year, the account ending with (last 4 numbers).

That usually works well for me. Couple of glitches over the years. Next year I will try for zero glitches.

Linda, EA

Comment

Working...
                              X