Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For that client....

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
    Message this morning: Hey, Rita, this is "Dude Whose Return You Finished Last Night Who Owes $3800 Cause I Had 4% Withheld". Can you get me an extension for one week? Call and let me know. I will come in to see you later today.
    Awesome.
    For the Dude: "This is Rita - I can do even better than that! I can get you an extension until October 15th!! BTW - The late fees and finance charges do start on Tuesday morning. Hope this is not a problem for you....."

FE

Comment

Avoiding the post office at all costs

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
      Extra insurance - that's all. The return receipt only adds a couple of dollars to the $3 cost of mailing via certified mail. I think $5 for a certified mail with return receipt just gives you extra evidence if something goes wrong. It demonstrates good faith and shows every attempt to document what happened. It also shows when someone at IRS actually signed for the envelope.

None of the above actually proves what was IN the envelope, but in situations in which I had to prove timely mailing in the face of huge penalties, IRS has never questioned the contents once they saw the two pieces of info I had for them. (mailing receipt plus signed returrn receipt). They probably would have accepted the mailing receipt only, but for the small additional cost why take chances?
      Why even deal with post office snail mail in the first place??

Extensions can easily be filed electronically, and if payments are due they can be "scheduled" at the same time. I've already done several extensions and, normally within a couple of hours, have received email notice that the IRS has received the extension. A DCN number is also provided. Problem solved!

If you want to deal with the fine folks at the USPS, a "receipt of mailing" is a lot cheaper and essentially proves the same thing. As noted earlier, certified mail just means something was mailed and, if you pay additional for the little green card, that someone at the other end received an envelope. The letter is not even tracked during its journey...

Just my 2ยข worth.

FE

Comment

Deliver

I make use of Delivery Confirmation for 70 cents when sending a package to a client. And, Proof of Mailing (about $1+) when sending to a government where the postmark date rules. But, I too prefer e-file with it's quick confirmations and no drive to the PO.

Comment

They can also be filed by phone and you get an instant confirmation number.
          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

On Line

And, on line to get and to track. Although, I guess you have to do the proof of mailing in person when you send.

Comment

I've been 'hitting the button' all day on extensions. Only had one where they wanted to send in a check, and that was a big, big, bill due.

Bart, I swear ATX is the easiest to efile. You used to have to go through the efile info form, (and all the related errors that happen when the return isn't completed) but now its just on the 4868 itself. And the acks are coming back within an hour or two.

Comment

Oh, all right!

Originally posted by joanmcq View Post

Bart, I swear ATX is the easiest to efile. You used to have to go through the efile info form, (and all the related errors that happen when the return isn't completed) but now its just on the 4868 itself. And the acks are coming back within an hour or two.
                This dang bunch'uh electronistas has been tryin' to pull me into the 21st century ever since the millenium passed and I've been draggin' my feet all the way. I mailed seven paper 4868s yestereday with $100 due, no money included and I'm not worried a bit about trackin' and such (even if they don't have FANTAN numbers on 'em). I mean, after all, I've mailed 'em for 40 years and none's been lost/disallowed yet (that's how risky the mail is).

But...havin' said that-- it's probably the last time I'll get by with it. Danged government keeps stickin' their noses in, makin' us do this, makin' us do that, ever'thing their way -- probably will finally nail my foot to the floor and say "Go this way (in circles), thou Neanderthalus."

Well, anyhow, thanks for the ATX tip, Joanie. I'll give it a shot next year -- the handwritin's on the wall (and every dang other place too -- did you know you cain't even take your .22 out and shoot a water moccasin in a ditch anymore?). What next?
                Last edited by Black Bart; 04-16-2011, 10:52 AM.

Comment

I just KNEW I'd be the last holdout.
                  I'll turn off the lights - next year...

And now, for all those clients who forgot the deadline:
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by JohnH; 04-16-2011, 01:09 PM.
                  "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
                  X