Dependent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dependent

Daughter, 52 yrs. old, unemployed for over 2 yrs., lives in her own apartment. Mother pays all of her bills, rent, etc. 80% of her support.
    Is there any way mother can claim daughter as a dependent on her 2005 tax return?
    From what I am reading, she can not. Thought maybe someone out their would have
    more creative thinking that I have.
    Thank you.

Originally posted by Bird Legs
    Daughter, 52 yrs. old, unemployed for over 2 yrs., lives in her own apartment. Mother pays all of her bills, rent, etc. 80% of her support.
    Is there any way mother can claim daughter as a dependent on her 2005 tax return?
    Thank you.
    Except for her age she is qualified to be the dependent of her mother. She did not earn any income and she did not support herself.
    I would treat her as a dependent
    Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Qr

From what I am reading, she can not.
      Read through Qualifying Relative:
      A) Daughter
      B) not a QC of anyone else
      C) gross income < $3200
      D) Provided over half of the daughter's support

To me, it's a slam-dunk QR Dependent.

Bill

Comment

Dependency

Thank you.
        You're forgetting that the test is relationship or member of household. If you meet the relationship test, of which daughter is one, you don't have to be a member of the household in order to qualify for dependency, as long as you meet the other tests, i.e. >50% support and gross income of daughter <$3,200 (along with citizenship/residency and not filing as MFJ.)

Comment

confusion

i think your confusing the requiremnents with dependent and hoh. the daughter would have to live with her to be hoh -but she can claim her as a dependent if she provided over 50% of her support and met the other test.

Comment

The daughter is not a qualifying child because the daughter is too old. The daughter can only be a qualifying relative if the daughter lives with the mother.

Since the daughter lives in her own apartment, she cannot be a dependent under the qualifying relative test, and since she is over 18, she cannot be a dependent under the qualifying child test.

No dependency exemption allowed.

Comment

backwards...

Originally posted by Bees Knees
              The daughter is not a qualifying child because the daughter is too old. The daughter can only be a qualifying relative if the daughter lives with the mother.
              Bees, I think you have that backwards. In order to be a QC, child must have lived with client for more than half of the year, but QR has no such requirement.

I agree with you that child is not a QC because of age. But, I see nothing that precludes QR -- at least using pg 20 of the 1040 instructions.

Bill

Comment

Working...
              X