auto depreciation recapture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

auto depreciation recapture

Brain dead and I can't figure this one out.
    Client has been using his auto for his schedule C business since 2004. On all returns he has used mileage to calculate his auto expense. Client sold car in 2010, do I have to recapture the depreciation portion of the mileage taken for all those years or can I claim all of the proceeds from the sale as a capital gain?
    Sale Price: $1,000
    Basis: $29,000
    depreciation calculation (based on mileage): $28,437
    Adjusted Basis $563
    Gain on sale: $437
    Thanks everyone for your help this year. I read the posts daily because I always learn something new.
    Noel
    "Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."- Oscar Wilde

Standard or Actual?

Originally posted by Acownt4it View Post
    Brain dead and I can't figure this one out.
    Client has been using his auto for his schedule C business since 2004. On all returns he has used mileage to calculate his auto expense. Client sold car in 2010, do I have to recapture the depreciation portion of the mileage taken for all those years or can I claim all of the proceeds from the sale as a capital gain?
    Sale Price: $1,000
    Basis: $29,000
    depreciation calculation (based on mileage): $28,437
    Adjusted Basis $563
    Gain on sale: $437
    Thanks everyone for your help this year. I read the posts daily because I always learn something new.
    Maybe I am not reading this correctly, did your client use "standard mileage" or "actual exps inlcuding depreciation" on his vehicle he sold in 2010?

Comment

mileage

He used standard mileage.
      Noel

Comment

up on top

just wanted to bring my question back to the top.
        Noel

Comment

CFS Tax Tools has a worksheet that helps you calculate this. Did you look at Page 25 of Pub 463? From that you can calculate the depreciation taken using the standard mileage rate (depreciation portion table is shown on that page). You then calculate the ordinary/capital gain/loss based on the adjusted basis.

You don't have "depreciation recapture" in this instance. I thought that term referred to excess depreciation taken when you drop below 50% use on a 179 asset (or similar situations). However, the depreciation does reduce their basis in the asset.
          Last edited by MilTaxEA; 04-12-2011, 10:17 PM.
          Michael

Comment

Thank You!!!!!

This really helped!
            Thanks to all who post.
            Noel

Comment

Working...
            X