1099-Misc box 1 rental but no exps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099-Misc box 1 rental but no exps

Wow, I looked under the options on Ln 21 form 1040 and the only one for 1099misc is amt reported in box 3, other income. The TP says the income if from someone placing a sign in his front yard though the TP says he has no related expense. First off I would think part of his property taxes etc. but I dont think the TP wants to go that route so I am leaning toward sSch E with no expenes. Your thoughts?

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
    Wow, I looked under the options on Ln 21 form 1040 and the only one for 1099misc is amt reported in box 3, other income. The TP says the income if from someone placing a sign in his front yard though the TP says he has no related expense. First off I would think part of his property taxes etc. but I dont think the TP wants to go that route so I am leaning toward sSch E with no expenes. Your thoughts?
    simply is other income, line 21.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

On Ln 21 "other income statement", Ln 17?

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
      simply is other income, line 21.
      What risk does the TP have by reporting 1099-misc Rental box 1 on Sch E w/o exps vs. Line 21 income?

Comment

Sch E

Sch E is the proper place for that income.
        No expenses needed for that. probably none that qualify.
        Very common occurance to only have income on the E.
        AJ, EA

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
          What risk does the TP have by reporting 1099-misc Rental box 1 on Sch E w/o exps vs. Line 21 income?
          I don't think there is any risk either way. It's going to be treated the same in the long run with no expenses to deduct. Just another form to complete with E. Only other possible effect is on Sche E it would be combined with any other passive income and/or losses, or any pass throughs from Sche E, pg 2.

Comment

Never mind
            Last edited by Academy Tax; 01-09-2015, 07:53 AM. Reason: whoops! unrelated

Comment

Working...
            X