Children of divorced parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Children of divorced parents

I guess I never e-filed a return for a custodial taxpayer who can claim EIC, while the non-custodial parent claims the children as dependents.

I assume second parent to file gets a rejection since SS numbers were used already? ...or is the IRS computer actually so smart as to identify this situation and not reject?

As long as the custodial parent doesn't claim the child's exemption and the non-custodial parent doesn't claim EIC, HOH, or 2441 they should both go through electronically. There's usually a way to indicate you're claiming the dependent for divorced/separated parents. Non-custodial parent should also be mailing in the 8332.

Comment

Thanks, great. I guess I will find out if non-custodial parents did it correctly.

Comment

For these situations, I always recommend that my clients get in as early as possible to file before the non-custodial parent. Because if the non-custodial parent files wrong (which is very common) then you will have to paper file your client's return which really slows down their refund.
        Michael

Comment

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
          Non-custodial parent should also be mailing in the 8332.
          If the non-custodial parent e-files, then the 8332 goes with the 8453.

Comment

Working...
          X