Moving Expense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving Expense

fed gov. employee received a 2nd w2 with just box 1 showing 24k and fed w/h showing 3900.
    No ss or medicare wages or w/h.
    This w2 is for moving exp.
    My question is, since there is fed w/h, no deduction for moving exp, correct?

moving reimbursement

If the monies the employer reimbursed the employee for moving are included in Box 1, then the employee does get to deduct those moving expenses.

If the monies the employer reimbursed the employee for moving are NOT included in Box 1, then the employee does NOT get to deduct those moving expenses.

In either case, there may have been additional amounts that the employee paid for moving (perhaps the employer didn't reimburse for all expenses) -- those are also potentially deductible (just depending on what they were).

Bill

Comment

I think the moving expenses are filed to offset the income. I don't remember the form number off the top of my head but I think that is the way it works.

Comment

keep in mind that this is a seperate w2 for moving exp only.
        it shows fed w/h of $3900., which makes me think, its not deductable since the gov. employer probably grossed it up & withheld.

Comment

I did one for a guy a couple years ago who worked for Coke and when I worked my way through the 3903 he ended up NOT able to deduct moving expenses. So I suppose you are right. I always seem to take the long way around.

Comment

Working...
          X