Sch M Software Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sch M Software Error

My software has an error when calculating the Sch M credit, especially when there are wages and Sch F losses that when combined reduces the earned income below $12,903 for a married couple. I have tried to catch most of these errors and override the sch m credit amount. I missed one and the software gave them the full $800 credit. They should not have gotten that much.

This is an error IRS will catch when processing this return. On another one, IRS reduced the refund and sent a letter to the client. This client owed and has already sent the check for the amount that would have been due if they had received the $800 credit. Knowing that the IRS catches this error, could the client just send another payment and not do an amended return? The amended will not get processed before the IRS notices the mistake. They do not want to wait for the letter to send payment.

This has been a tough year. Anybody else feel the same way?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by dmj4; 04-09-2011, 09:58 PM.

What software?

And are they correcting their error?
    Jiggers, EA

Comment

Not preaching, so please forgive how this sounds.

I have had a number of arguments with my software vendor explaining to them that until they sign the return, I want to be able to correct their errors.

Is this something that you could not easily catch or correct?

If so, perhaps you should be checking another vendor.

Have you considered amending the return and sending in the payment?

I tried three last year and two were quite bad, so I am using two, one that I have used for 10 years and one that is slightly better and slightly worse than that one. I may reluctantly be trying ProSeries this summer.
      Doug

Comment

Sched M issues

I haven't had any error on Sched M for the 2010 tax filings
        I had maybe 2 or 3 for the 2009 tax filing, and it because of some VA payments, or because a client was on a State retirement and also SSA and forgot that they received.

However, I do agree, this tax filing season for 2010 has been particularly challenging and I am so tired

Sandy

Comment

Working...
        X