Sch B Foreign Accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sch B Foreign Accounts

I made a mistake and checked the "Yes" box on Part III number 7a of Schedule B, indicating a foreign account. Taxpayer has no foreign accounts, but the return has already been filed. Any suggestions on how to correct?

Foreign accounts

Originally posted by KBTS View Post
    I made a mistake and checked the "Yes" box on Part III number 7a of Schedule B, indicating a foreign account. Taxpayer has no foreign accounts, but the return has already been filed. Any suggestions on how to correct?
    Even if he had some foreign accounts, he might not have had income from them, so I don't see any reason to correct it unless the IRS raises a question.

Comment

I don't think it needs to be corrected. The reason for the checkbox is to remind the taxpayer that they may need to file the FBAR form. But if they have less than $10K in foreign accounts, they would still check the box on the Schedule B but do nothing else. So there's no harm/no foul by accidentally checking the box that I'm aware of.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
        I don't think it needs to be corrected. The reason for the checkbox is to remind the taxpayer that they may need to file the FBAR form. But if they have less than $10K in foreign accounts, they would still check the box on the Schedule B but do nothing else. So there's no harm/no foul by accidentally checking the box that I'm aware of.
        Actually you ony check yes if you have over $10,000.
        Instructions for checking No - Schedule B
        The combined value of the accounts was $10,000
        or less during the whole year....
        JG

Comment

So, should I do something to correct this or will it be OK as is?

Comment

Originally posted by JG EA View Post
            Actually you ony check yes if you have over $10,000.
            Instructions for checking No - Schedule B
            Thanks for correcting me on that, JG.
            I did not know - guess I need to read the instructions every now & again...
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
            X