Medical Care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medical Care

Elderly client's husband has psychiatric illness. Unable to care for self and requires extra
    help with daily needs.

He was sent to a group home for care by probate judge and family is paying for the group home care.

Would care in a group home qualify for medical deduction on Sched A. If nursing home there would be no question or if extended care could get a breakdown for medical portion of
    care payments. This is not possible with the group home. Cost is over $1,000 monthly and
    not covered by insurance or medicare.

Group Home

could probably inform you if their care meets the reqirements of medical care.

Comment

seems like it is more psychiatric related care than medical care. Would this make
      any difference.

Group home is only a small house with 10 residents so probably would not be able
      to determine what or whether it qualifies for medical care.

Comment

Psychiatric care counts as medical care

of that I am sure. I don't know about the specific rules for a group home but I would expect payments include both medical and non medical expenses just as in say a nursing home.

Comment

ADL's

If your client is unable to do 2 out of the RDL's without substantial assistance or is in a locked facilty then I would take it as long as the taxpayer has a letter from a medical professional attesting to this.

Comment

Working...
          X