Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

W-2 Box 14 "DDNTB"

What do you think?

Client says it's Health Insurance Premiums he paid out of pocket.

Sounds fishy to me. The employer is the county finance department.
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

DD Non Taxable Benefit?

Could DD = Death & Disabilty?
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Yeah, something like that

I did Google searches for "DDNTB", "Box 14 DDNTB", and "W-2 Box 14" before I posted the original question, and really didn't get too far.

When I was a teacher, I had that on my W-2, and I THINK it was for (Pre-Tax) Medical Flexible Spending Account. That's been 17 years ago, but I think that's right.

Whatever it was, it was tax deferred back in the day. The client is wanting me to deduct on Sch A. I don't necessarily doubt that it's Health Insurance, but I doubt that it's in Box 1 and post-tax. I think I'll call the Finance Dept tomorrow.
      Last edited by RitaB; 04-08-2011, 09:12 AM.

Comment

For situations like this just ask the client for a pay stub or remittance advice.

Comment

True. There are some standard wordings/abbreviations for Box 14, like Housing Allowance, etc, but you can pretty much put anything in that box you want. It's informational.

Comment

Yeah

Originally posted by Davc View Post
            For situations like this just ask the client for a pay stub or remittance advice.
            Yeah, that's exactly what I need. I left him a message earlier today, but as he is just NOW getting me his tax info, I am not expecting a call back today, let alone a check stub.

BTW, as God is my witness, the next person who says, "Bet you are getting busy, huh?' is leaving here on a stretcher.

Comment

I don't know what it stands for, Rita, but this comes straight from the bookkeeper in the school superintendent's office. That is pre-tax medical insurance. I see it a lot on teachers' w-2's.

Comment

Thanks, Rhonda

Originally posted by rjholmes View Post
                I don't know what it stands for, Rita, but this comes straight from the bookkeeper in the school superintendent's office. That is pre-tax medical insurance. I see it a lot on teachers' w-2's.
                Not saying my client is wrong, but I have about 30 others who are county employees, and he's the first one who has thought this is deductible.

LOL - I just remembered what he said when he dropped off: "I remember I was pretty close to you in the line at graduation. But only because I was like #300 and the line wrapped around so us dumb@$$es were up there with you guys with gold hats."

Well, #300 now holds a county position and makes more than I do. hahahaha. (Crap.)

Comment

Oh, I had someone like that in my graduating class. He always got in trouble in class..kind of smart alecky guy. He was in a government class I had to take.

Years later, I was working at the city employees credit union and who comes in for a loan but him. He was a police officer and had a pretty high position in the police department.

Linda, EA

Comment

#300 just called

Well, here's the scoop, straight from the horse's mouth:

"Oh, yeah, I know it's pre-tax, but I figured since it's on my wife, who is self-employed, I could deduct it as self-employed health insurance."

OH. MY. GAWD.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
                      Well, here's the scoop, straight from the horse's mouth:

"Oh, yeah, I know it's pre-tax, but I figured since it's on my wife, who is self-employed, I could deduct it as self-employed health insurance."

OH. MY. GAWD.
                      I think that scoop came from the other end of the horse...
                      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Lol

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                        I think that scoop came from the other end of the horse...
                        You got THAT right, John! And, I voted for the jack@$$, too.

Comment

I have a similar arguement with a client every year. His wife is a teacher and he insists since she pays it they can deduct it. Our local schools self insure so any shortfall comes out of the taxpyers pocket. This guy has had multible procedures and racked up a couple million $ in medical bills over the years. While I'm sympathic to his health problems it's not the taxpayers job to bail him out.
                          In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
                          Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Wait A Minute

OK, I realize why the double-dipping makes sense to #300. His wife is a hairdresser. It took five years for me to convince her that she can't deduct the FMV of a "do-over".

That explains a lot.

Comment

Working...
                            X