NT- Interesting Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT- Interesting Day

A storm came though here last night and knocked down some major power lines, traffic signals, and assorted trees on the two main commute arteries between my home and my office. So I had decided to leave early & beat traffic when I heard the news. But there's more...

Coincidentally, the counterbalance spring on my garage door had broken (it had nothing to do with the storm). Isn't it interesting how totally unrelated things happen simultaneously? Couldn't lift the door, couldn't get the car out of the garage, couldn't ride my bike because it was at the office, and couldn't call a cab because they weren't serving our area due to the traffic snarls. The garage door people were swamped with commercial calls and couldn't promise when they would be there. Nobody seemed concerned that I had tax returns on my desk crying for my attention. (This really is aggravating because after all, it is all about me - right?)

So I walked 2+ hours to work. About mid-afternoon my wife called to say the garage door guy finally showed up and $200 later we were good to go. So I rode my bike home to retireve my car, which took about an hour, then it took another hour and a half to DRIVE back to the office because traffic was still so bad. Now I'm at my desk at 5 pm, determined to get in a good 3 hours or so and hoping the traffic will be unsnarled by 8:30 or so. Anybody else had a day like this lately?

But I'm really telling all this because the walk to work was the best part. I was standing at the intersection where the main problem occurred chatting with a police officer. Yellow crime scene tape is stretched across the road, patrol car is parked sideways in the intersection wit blue lights flashing, he has his safety vest on, and is still having to stop people from trying to drive AROUND the crime scene tape and INTO the intersection where the traffic lights & various electircal wires are scattered on the roadway. A lady gets out of her car, walks up to the officer and me, and demands "HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO GET TO WORK?" Didn't even say where she wanted to go. Good thing he was the police officer and not me. I'd have probably said "Just sit down in the back of the patrol car - the one with the inside handles that don't work - and I'll drive you there myself; as soon as my shift is over." Instead, being the pro that he is, he patiently asks her where she works and then suggests a couple of alternate routes she might try. Gotta hand it to those law enforcement types - they sure do put up with a lot of stupdity sometimes. I'll try to imitate his demeanor next time a client asks something equally dumb.
    Last edited by JohnH; 04-05-2011, 04:32 PM.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

My son in law is a cop (a good one) and he has the absolute perfect temperment for the job - several times after telling us a story about an on the job incident I would ask "Did you hit hoim with your night stick?" - that would be MY solution to most crime problems...

Comment

John, you walked 2+ hours to go to work!!!! You must love your job or your clients. I'm only kidding. We all know how dedicated tax pros are.

Although I would never had made it walking that long. The ambulance would have had to pick me up.

Good for you!!!

Last Thursday we had really bad storms all through central Florida. Tornado on the south side where Sun n Fun Fly In was supposed to be going on. Damage to a lot of the planes. We had a lot of wind and rain coming down sideways. None of my appointments cancelled. They braved the weather.

Today we had a front go through and it rained during the morning but nothing like last week. But now it is the 60's and will go down into 50's tonight. But 80's will be back in a couple of days.

Linda, EA

Comment

Linda:
        Thanks for the high five, but I'll 'fess up and admit I stopped at Brueggers for a bagel & coffee on the way. (but the walk was still an honest 2 hours not counting the bagel break).

Weater was a balmy 63 after the storm passed through. Perfect day to take a brisk walk, smell the exhaust fumes, and have a laugh with the police officer.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
        X