Gift Tax and Skip Person

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gift Tax and Skip Person

I have to prepare a gift tax return for a single person. Children got large gifts well in excess of $13,000. Grandchildren got $13,000 gifts. Do I have to do something different for the grandchildren than the children on the 709 because the grandchildren are skip persons?

Assuming Grandcritters got no other gifts during the year theirs aren't reportable.

Comment

Are you sure?

I thought if there were some reportable gifts (over $13k) you showed all gifts.

Comment

I'm studying this now and haven't gotten too far and so am not sure, but I think you subtract the $13,000 from the amounts you put on the form and so the grandkids would then be zero.
        Last edited by JG EA; 04-03-2011, 05:12 PM.
        JG

Comment

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
          I thought if there were some reportable gifts (over $13k) you showed all gifts.
          Yhis is my understanding also. You report them, but the 13000 gets backed out so it doesn't go against the lifetime limit.
          You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

We are wrong

I just looked it up in TTB page 21-2. It says you don't report the gifts of $13,000 or less just the ones freater than $13,000.

Comment

Gifts at or below the exemption amount are not reported on F-709. Gifts above that level are reported in full, then the exemption amount is deducted elsewhere on the return.
              Roland Slugg
              "I do what I can."

Comment

Working...
              X