Pd preparer 09 return (new client) with NO PTIN or SS#

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pd preparer 09 return (new client) with NO PTIN or SS#

First one I seen for a long time. When I told them what my fee will be, they replied "I only paid this much for my 09 tax return". I reduced my tax prep fee $10 and they still didnt seem happy so I suggested they may want to go back to the tax preparer who prepared their 09 tax return and they replied they would prefer not want. I asked if the 09 tax preparer contacted them about preparing their 10 return and they replied no. What are the chances the 09 preparer never obtained a PTIN? Also, can you obtain e-file authorization back in 2009 to e-file w/o placing your PTIN or SS on the tax return?

How do you know if the 2009 return was e-filed?

But there's a bigger issue here that who did what last year. When the client relationship starts out with them haggling with you over $10, you've already lost the fee battle. They will own your pricing structure from now on, provided you want to keep giving up enough to retain them as a client.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

No PTIN or SS#

What I would have done - was show the client the preparer area - where there's no ID informaion in the preparer block - so of course the person can charge you less.

I had a new client who came to me in mid January - it turns out her prior preparer died in 2010.

In going through the prior return - a depreciation schedule was missing for rental property purchased in mid 1980s. Couldn't get records from prior preparer's office as the family shredded all records figuring they wouldn't ever need them.

It takes her 2 months to reconstruct cost basis information - obtaining purchase information (from very sketchy data-going back nearly 30 years). Yes I know- building's original cost is probably fully depreciated by now. But additions - etc was what she was supposed to get.

Finally calls me this week to schedule an appointment to return and informs me that she heard from a friend she can go to H & R Block for half the fee I was going to charge her.

So I told her - come pick up her records I held here for 2 months and go on your merry way.

When clients start barking over fees before anything else- they're not worth keeping.
      Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sam View Post
        What I would have done - was show the client the preparer area - where there's no ID informaion in the preparer block - so of course the person can charge you less.

I.
        Or when pointing out the unsigned preparer area, tell the client that the empty space signifies one of two things - either the return was self-prepared, or the person who prepared it was not paid anything.

Comment

Working...
        X