LogJams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LogJams

March is always the month for difficult returns. February is the big refund crowd with lots of returns. March has fewer returns but more problems.

It happens every year. You can't complete a return because a customer doesn't have information, thus you stack his file off to the side. He is supposed to call you "tomorrow" and for all practical purposes, forgets about it.

In a few days, there are several files stacked off to the side waiting on more information from the customers. One of them doesn't know what he paid for a stock on a 1099-B. Another is contesting the amount of interest on a 1098, another one received a 1098-T with blank fields. The reasons are many, but the bottom line is that this "stack" of uncompleted returns tends to grow and grow and grow, and if we allow it, this logjam will continue until about April 13th.

Customers will then start calling and wanting to know why they don't have their return back. Some of them will have totally forgotten that THEY are the reason for the holdup, and others will want you to file an extension.

I'm looking for a "nuclear option" of dealing with this logjam and at this point I don't much care who gets blowed up. (Of course this is not really true) And it happens every year, I don't know why I'm writing this post as if I've never dealt with it before. You hate to start arbitrarily charging more money because some of this stuff is not the client's fault. Banks and insurance companies, for example, have a miserable track record of issuing replace-ment or corrected 1099s and 1098s

Any comments???

Slow down of ...........

....appointments but still lots to do.... Looks like I will not be as stressed this year as I was last year. BUT there is still 2 weeks to go................
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

February and March

Yes, the refunds come in in February and the problems come in in March (and April), but what I've noticed is that they pretty much are the same people every year.

Comment

"Problem Children"

This is what I call the time where my "Problem Children" come in. I've only been working alone for 4 seasons now, so it's old and new clients.
        "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

March is your biggest billing month of the year. I'd like at leat one more March every year.

Comment

Log Jams

Snag:
            Rejoice and be thankful that you have these clients.

Comment

As Elvis Costello Opined

I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused.
              In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
              Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Working...
              X