Georgia and military retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Georgia and military retirement

Not real familiar with Georgia tax law and I have a part year Georgia return and the taxpayer has military retirement. All I can find is that Georgia does not tax retirement income if the taxpayer is over 62. In this case he is 49 so I am assuming all of the military retirement will be taxable? Just hoping someone from Georgia can help me out. Tried calling their help line but couldn't even get to talk to a person.

Thanks

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
    Not real familiar with Georgia tax law and I have a part year Georgia return and the taxpayer has military retirement. All I can find is that Georgia does not tax retirement income if the taxpayer is over 62. In this case he is 49 so I am assuming all of the military retirement will be taxable? Just hoping someone from Georgia can help me out. Tried calling their help line but couldn't even get to talk to a person.

Thanks
    that's right, Bonnie. Military retirement will be subject to Georgia tax for those months he was a resident. Did this fellow move to Columbus from Ft Knox as part of the BRAC?
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

No they moved from Georgia to Kentucky. Taxpayer is retired military, married a woman who got a job here at Knox at the new HR center due to BRAC. Lots of movement here in this area. More coming than going. Quite a few active duty moving to Georgia. But we've got people coming from St Louis, DC and Indy due to the HR Center being relocated here. Took them about 3 years to build and it opened last June. These people have 3 part year returns. While the wife was active duty she was AL resident but stationed in GA, then got out of military and worked in GA then took the job here and moved to KY in July. Had another family who moved from St Louis area last year. They lived in IL but worked in MO so had to do non resident MO, part year IL and part year KY. I'm learning a lot about a lot of states this year. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
      X