Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nurse's (RN) unreimbursed exps deductibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nurse's (RN) unreimbursed exps deductibility?

1-Malpractice Ins - yes
    2-AACN membership - yes
    3-Continuing Ed - yes
    4-Stethoscope - yes
    5-Internet at home -?
    6-Laundry - ?
    7-Nurse uniforms - what is the rule, if it cant be worn in a public place, its deductible
    8-Work shoes & socks - got to have shoes and most likely socks.

Your thoughts.

agree with 1, 2, 3, 4. 5 ?? 6 & 7 yes,, recognizable when worn in public. 8 ? if she is wearing whites, she would have white shoes and socks or nylons. nurses do buy special shoes, not sure if steel toe or not.

Comment

Originally posted by taxmom34 View Post
      agree with 1, 2, 3, 4. 5 ?? 6 & 7 yes,, recognizable when worn in public. 8 ? if she is wearing whites, she would have white shoes and socks or nylons. nurses do buy special shoes, not sure if steel toe or not.
      Nurses shoes>>>>Non-skid...Safety you know...............

Internet >>maybe a % allowed if proof of job use is given.
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

no on 5 , 6 and 8. what is safety about white tennis shoes??
        AJ, EA

Comment

They do sell nursing shoes and most nurses have them. Nurses are on their feet 12 hrs a day (and longer)

Dont forget small tools and accessories (pen light, medical sheers, medical clamps stethescopes, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by AJsTax View Post
            Even tennis shoes are designed for traction. Nurse shoes are designed for slippery surfaces>>>blood, urine, and other fluids.
            This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by AJsTax View Post
              If the clothes are deductible, then bills to have them cleaned would also be deductible. I can't imagine any way to measure home laundering, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
                If the clothes are deductible, then bills to have them cleaned would also be deductible. I can't imagine any way to measure home laundering, though.
                I do it all the time,, $400 +.... depending on laundermat or in home.

Comment

Return to those days of yesteryear

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
                  I do it all the time,, $400 +.... depending on laundermat or in home.
                  Ah....the SWAG method still survives!!

My vote is a definite "no" on the internet. Shoes could be a close call, unless they are the old-time "nurse's" clodhoppers with white stockings et al. Calling Nurse Ratched??

BTW: Did anyone ever state if Ms Nightingale is an employee or Sch C......or perhaps even both?!?

FE

Comment

Have RN clients who may have job related internet use. Depends on their actual job: e.g.- Work Comp claims processing; call center response nurse; faculty.

Comment

If they are special shoes, I would deduct them.

Internet - percentage if they are doing research or nursing related things. Nurses might do extra research and reading online to keep up with new technology and conditions and treatments.

Linda, EA

Comment

And all of this work compiling the cost of these expenses must be over 2% of AGI to be able to deduct, assuming that she can even itemize.

99.999% of those that want to claim some type of business expense can't because of the 2% haircut PLUS most of those don't itemize.
                        Jiggers, EA

Comment

Ended up being NO deduction

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post
                          And all of this work compiling the cost of these expenses must be over 2% of AGI to be able to deduct, assuming that she can even itemize.

99.999% of those that want to claim some type of business expense can't because of the 2% haircut PLUS most of those don't itemize.
                          Line 27 Sch A ended up with a $0.

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post

So true for federal . . . but fully deductible on our state & local, so gotta be done, anyhow.

Comment

Working...
                            X