X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you charge for this?

New client...

One Form W-2
    One 1099-R with a Code 1, but qualifies for the exception for educational expenses
    One 1099-R with a Code G (rollover)
    Educational expenses which qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit
    Simple, bare-bones Schedule C that involves making and selling craft jewelry
    has one 1099-MISC associated with this Schedule C; seems a bit like an Avon/Mary Kay sort of thing
    Not-so-simple Schedule C that involves first year as a real estate agent
    but no income on this Schedule C, since she started in November; just expenses
    no depreciation on this Schedule C; maybe some standard mileage
    the rest is fairly straightforward office expenses, real estate license fee, etc.

So the return consists of a Form 1040, two Schedules C, a Form 5329, and a Form 8863.

The state return, Ohio, is a no-brainer. Everything transfers right from the federal return. No data entry required, except for what county and school district they live in.

And we have to do a city tax return, but that's also pretty straightforward, and only takes about five minutes.

Client is fairly well organized, gave me a neat pile of receipts for each Schedule C. Gave me a copy of last year's return, which was done by someone else. Last year had no Schedule C at all, no education, and no retirement plan distributions. Last year was a Form 1040-EZ.

This will probably take me two to three hours. I don't usually charge by the hour for tax returns.

I don't charge by the form, either. I just make up a fee.

What would you charge for this return?

BMK
    under $100
    6.25%
    $100 to $150
    9.38%
    $150 to $200
    18.75%
    $200 to $250
    28.13%
    over $250
    37.50%

The poll is expired.

Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

$300 - $350.
    Last edited by MRPLOW; 03-24-2011, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Burton

This would be around $415.

Comment

200 +

I would have to say a minimum of $200.

Comment

$420 including CA return. Does not include hourly rate for bookkeeping on sch C.

Comment

$350-425, I don't know about city tax returns but just federal & state would be in that range.
            "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Definately in the $400-$500 range if for nothing else but for time. I charge by time and complexity. Seems like you have both. I try to get $300 an hour. Most of my clients have learned to come in organized because of the way I bill. Some have learned not to come to me because of the way I bill and the way they are disorganized. Good for them and good for me. Don't waste my time.......................
              This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Defintley not over

$200 max. I only see about an hour or so work there. even at 2 hour would be less than $300. any more and they would be cheaper at the box and we always are under those over priced W@#$%
                AJ, EA

Comment

Fees

I'm giving this post a bump, because it seems to be generating some interest, and some voting...

But when someone votes on the poll without posting a comment, it doesn't bring the post back to the top

BMK
                  Burton M. Koss
                  koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Working...
                  X