2210 Dilemna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2210 Dilemna

I have a client, that is always underpaid on their withholding and never makes estimates - so the usual underpayment penalty is $ 250 - $ 400. They have some high dividend income.

In 2010 - one of the holdings that was producing the high dividend income - liquidated them for about 90% of their investment , so now I not only have high wages, and dividend income, but a capital gain. I am well over $1 mil AGI

I calculated the additional taxes due, however, the tax client did not pay until the drop dead date of 1-17-11 for 2010.

Now if I run all through my software - I have an underpayment penalty of over $ 1,000 on Fed, plus another amount on State which happens to be Calif.

Question - Do I let the software calculate the underpayment penalty and have the t/p pay, or do I prepare the "waiver" due to ???? and let the Agencies come back to us and calculate the underpayment and bill the t/p?

There is about $ 1,500 or so that the software is calculating for both Fed and State - so that is a lot of money.

Thoughts ???

Sandy

Originally posted by S T View Post
    I have a client, that is always underpaid on their withholding and never makes estimates - so the usual underpayment penalty is $ 250 - $ 400. They have some high dividend income.

In 2010 - one of the holdings that was producing the high dividend income - liquidated them for about 90% of their investment , so now I not only have high wages, and dividend income, but a capital gain. I am well over $1 mil AGI

I calculated the additional taxes due, however, the tax client did not pay until the drop dead date of 1-17-11 for 2010.

Now if I run all through my software - I have an underpayment penalty of over $ 1,000 on Fed, plus another amount on State which happens to be Calif.

Question - Do I let the software calculate the underpayment penalty and have the t/p pay, or do I prepare the "waiver" due to ???? and let the Agencies come back to us and calculate the underpayment and bill the t/p?

There is about $ 1,500 or so that the software is calculating for both Fed and State - so that is a lot of money.

Thoughts ???

Sandy
    Depending on when the liqudation took place you may be able to "annualize" on the 2210. If you have never done one, good luck..................
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Working...
    X