Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Royalties on 1099-misc reported on Sch E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royalties on 1099-misc reported on Sch E?

$9400 in Box 2. This is not the TP's main source of income. TP has 2 - W-2 totaling $140K
    TP did not participate regarding these Royalties though recieved a W-2 from the same issuer as the 1099-misc. TP has no exps relating to his royalties

Reason I ask, last preparer (CPA) reported 2009 Royalties on Sch E.

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
    $9400 in Box 2. This is not the TP's main source of income. TP has 2 - W-2 totaling $140K
    TP did not participate regarding these Royalties though recieved a W-2 from the same issuer as the 1099-misc. TP has no exps relating to his royalties

Reason I ask, last preparer (CPA) reported 2009 Royalties on Sch E.
    What kind of royalties?

Comment

I think

we all have done it wrong at times. If the royalties are coming from client's own work -ie music, writing etc it is on Schedule C, it not his own work goes to E. M Jackson's royalties from Thriller would be Schedule C, he purchased the Beatle's library and the royalties from that go to E, or now on his 1041...

My son-in-law I take all his to his schedule C. For some of my age retired performers I now take them to E, there not big and C's are gone. That is not a good excuse, but if audited I will not be too embrassed, or will I.

I wish growing old meant getting wiser, but I am proving that wrong.

Comment

NFL Players Inc. issued 1099-misc

Originally posted by Larmil View Post
        What kind of royalties?
        I stand corrected, the W-2 was issed by the NFL franchise, not the NFL Players Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
          I stand corrected, the W-2 was issed by the NFL franchise, not the NFL Players Inc.
          What were the "royalties" actually for? PS: Try not to put part of your message in the title box . Half the time I miss it, and it does not appear in the quote when that is used. Thanks!

Comment

What were royalties actually for?

I really dont know but I read somewhere it might be part of the earning the NFL franchises earns.

Comment

I found some info about amts paid to retired NFL players for royalties garnered under licenses with makers of video games, trading cards and other football products as a result of a lawsuit . But this was via the NFL Players Assn. However, do you think these could also be as a result of the TP's individual licensing agreement for use of his image, etc?. Kind of looks like it might be a Sche C item if it was a result of his career as a football player. There should be some paperwork other than the 1099 that he would have. Like something he signed?
              Last edited by Burke; 03-23-2011, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X