Ira

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ira

Can't seem to find info on deductibiity of early withdrawal penalty charged client WITHIN the IRA.

Any one =

Regards = Ricardo

Well

[QUOTE=Ricardo;117877]Can't seem to find info on deductibiity of early withdrawal penalty charged client WITHIN the IRA.

I am not sure the 10% early withdrawal excise tax is deductible. Kinda of defeats the purpose of having a penalty.

Now if you are talking about the IRA itself charged a fee like custodian fee, that is deductible on Sch A subject to AGI phase out.

If its a surrender charge imposed by the insurance company, that is a good question.

Comment

Not deductible. Only the amount he actually received is taxable.

Comment

I agree with Burke.

Comment

Ira

I find now the penalty was charged on a CD within the IRA when it was rolled over to another trustee. Obviously it had not reached maturity.

Regards = Ricardo

Comment

Possibley, Line 30 form 1040

Line 30 form 1040 does say "Penalty on early withdrawal of saving". If this applied, no AGI phase out.

Comment

Penalties and fees N/A ??

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
              Line 30 form 1040 does say "Penalty on early withdrawal of saving". If this applied, no AGI phase out.
              If the CD was already "within" the IRA there is no separate adjustment for the early withdrawal penalty. It's really no different than taking a "loss" on a stock within the IRA.

FWIW: Early withdrawal penalties normally are reported on a Form 1099-INT anyway.

As for the annual maintenance fees charged by the IRA, if my memory is correct (kinda stressed these days) I don't think you can deduct that on your taxes unless you pay that fee with "new" ( = outside) money. See first paragraph above....

FE

Comment

Your memory is right on. When one of my clients was having their fees deducted out of their IRA acct, I advised them to change it. They now pay them directly from another taxable account so they can take the deduction.
                Last edited by Burke; 03-23-2011, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X