Basis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basis

Client who was partners in a property with someone. She put up no money in the transaction. She just put work into it. She sold her her part to her partner for 15,000. Anyway I can come up with a logical basis, I hate to have this hit the sched c. Would it be on sched D, with a 0 basis? She has never takinen depreciation on this property. She is a real estate agent and her name is on the property. Thanks in advance for any help.

Originally posted by RNuse09 View Post
    Client who was partners in a property with someone. She put up no money in the transaction. She just put work into it. She sold her her part to her partner for 15,000. Anyway I can come up with a logical basis, I hate to have this hit the sched c. Would it be on sched D, with a 0 basis? She has never takinen depreciation on this property. She is a real estate agent and her name is on the property. Thanks in advance for any help.
    First thing you do is to get a copy of the partnership agreement and look it over. It should specify how profits/losses are split.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

No way can she take basis unless there was cash or property contributed in the deal. Does she classify as a dealer? That is the distinction between Sche C and Sche D. Or if it was a sale of a formalized partnership interest.
      Last edited by Burke; 03-22-2011, 01:10 PM.

Comment

I was thinking

I think she should include the income on sched c. From the taxbook it says that prioperty received for services's basis is equal to the fmv of the services provided. So I think it should be included on sched c and then should be on sched d where there would be no gain or loss. What do you think?

Comment

Well, I don't think it can go on both. Sche C is treated as inventory (i.e, dealer) subj to SE tax, and Sche D is sale of a capital asset. Chear$ had a point. Is there a partnership agreement in all this? Written? And she better have some good documentation to calculate that "basis."
          Last edited by Burke; 03-22-2011, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X