More on Energy Credits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More on Energy Credits

T/p added sunroom to the house - is the credit for windows/doors each (line 2b-2c), or is it line 3 a - energy-efficient bldg property?
    Should be a $ 1,500 credit, I think?

Thanks,
    Sandy

Originally posted by S T View Post
    T/p added sunroom to the house - is the credit for windows/doors each (line 2b-2c), or is it line 3 a - energy-efficient bldg property?
    Should be a $ 1,500 credit, I think?

Thanks,
    Sandy
    Sandy,
    Window and doors would go on line 2b-2c, the way I remember is outside structure goes
    on line 2 and inside structures goes on line 3.
    I believe second or third page of form and instruction explains it.
    Gene

Comment

Warning

I would be very careful how I use expenses for a sunroom.

The theory behind the energy credit is items such as doors/windows that specifically reduce heat loss/gain. That might be a stretch for the entire sunroom.

Also, a reasonable person might think there is some "stuctural component" issues involved for a sunroom, generating yet another potential problem. Could you deduct building a greenhouse??

Excerpt: A component is not specifically and primarily designed to reduce the heat loss or gain of your home if it provides structural support or a finished surface (such as drywall or siding) or its principal purpose is to serve any function unrelated to the reduction of heat loss or gain.

FE

Comment

Line 2 is for things that insulate, line 3 is for conventional HVAC, page 2 is for unconventional (solar/geothermal/wind) energy sources.

Comment

All responses is my issue

If you "google" 4 Seasons Sunrooms and others - on the interrnett say it qualifies for an Energy Credit -

I am having difficulty in how to enter on the Form 5695 - Is it windows/doors/insulation/roof or? It would seem since Sunrooms are an addition and mostly Glass with windows and doors, that is where it needs to be placed on the form 5695.

T/p does have the "Energy Star Ratings" and can go to the mfg website to obtain certification.

Another one of those - the client says the "Sales Person said" so trying to find where to qualify - has the ufactor .30 Energy Star Rated for windows and doors.

All seem to reference IRS 2009-53

I think I am brain dead

Thanks,
          Sandy

Comment

Upon further review...

If you "google" 4 Seasons Sunrooms and others - on the interrnett say it qualifies for an Energy Credit -

I am having difficulty in how to enter on the Form 5695 - Is it windows/doors/insulation/roof or? It would seem since Sunrooms are an addition and mostly Glass with windows and doors, that is where it needs to be placed on the form 5695.

T/p does have the "Energy Star Ratings" and can go to the mfg website to obtain certification.

Another one of those - the client says the "Sales Person said" so trying to find where to qualify - has the ufactor .30 Energy Star Rated for windows and doors.

All seem to reference IRS 2009-53

I think I am brain dead

Thanks,
            Sandy
            You are far from brain dead - just likely Monday-itis has struck.

I can't fight this war due to workload, but I still would have some reservations about claiming everything. I've had many clients who said "the salesman told them they could deduct it" and the real facts said otherwise. (I'll skip over the "energy-saving" appliance versions where the IRS lets you get another credit....)

Be that as it may, I did Google and found the below. If you read carefully, they almost are saying "windows & doors." You can decide:

How to qualify for the Tax Credit:*

Purchase a qualifying Four Seasons' Sunroom, Energy-Saving Window, or Entry Door. The window or door must have both a U-Factor and SHGC of 0.30 or lower.

Qualifying Products that meet the U-Factor and SHGC criteria for the 2009/2010 tax credit: *

All Four Seasons windows in our Ultra Living line of vinyl-clad Patio Rooms, Sunrooms and Conservatories.

All Energy-Saving Windows

Select Steel Entry Doors.

Save your sales receipt and each window or door performance label (NFRC/ENERGY STAR® label) with your tax documents.

The only real escape I could imagine is if you called the entire sunroom a "window" ???

If you are thinking of going the "solar" route, I did have one client who went bananas and spent a ridiculous amount of money for such as water-heating, radiant heat-trapment, and the like. The paperwork was horrendous and impossible to understand...except for selected rocket scientists. Client now has all such paperwork ready for IRS review and is enjoying some very nice tax credits.

FE

Comment

You found

FE Duke
              You found the same as I did

That is why I am thinking windows and doors line entry for the form 5695 - since a sunroom is mostly windows and doors

Client is supplying the energy labels, and the contract with the mfg certificate

Not claiming solar!

Another site says you "claim the entire sunroom" as a "windows" and give a nfg certification on their website. Part of a Thermal Industries Product.

These "window" and "energy savings people" Sales persons are worse than a "used Car Dealer

thanks,

Sandy

Comment

These "window" and "energy savings people" Sales persons are worse than . . .
                They sure can be! The goofiest one I've had: Client gave me a yellow copy of a hand written sales invoice that simply said "Hot Water Heater" on it. No make, model, energy rating, etc. On the invoice, the sales person had attached a small sticker that had a bar code on it, and some numerals. Told client that is all they would need to claim the credit! I tried entering the numerals on the Energy Star website, but couldn't find anything.

Comment

Originally posted by BP. View Post
                  They sure can be! The goofiest one I've had: Client gave me a yellow copy of a hand written sales invoice that simply said "Hot Water Heater" on it. No make, model, energy rating, etc. On the invoice, the sales person had attached a small sticker that had a bar code on it, and some numerals. Told client that is all they would need to claim the credit! I tried entering the numerals on the Energy Star website, but couldn't find anything.
                  I wish there was a place on the return to put refrigerators, dishwashers,, washers and dryers. The SALES PEOPLE tell my clients there is a place to get that energy saving appliance credit for their taxes.

There is nowhere I can see for any of appliance to go anywhere. The clients call back and said AGAIN the salesperson said it is.
                  Sooooo what do you do then. Tell them for the salesperson to file their taxes???????
                  SueBaby

Comment

Originally posted by SueBaby View Post
                    I wish there was a place on the return to put refrigerators, dishwashers,, washers and dryers. The SALES PEOPLE tell my clients there is a place to get that energy saving appliance credit for their taxes.

There is nowhere I can see for any of appliance to go anywhere. The clients call back and said AGAIN the salesperson said it is.
                    Sooooo what do you do then. Tell them for the salesperson to file their taxes???????
                    Appliances require a mail-in rebate and are not part of a tax return credit.
                    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
                      Appliances require a mail-in rebate and are not part of a tax return credit.
                      We get a credit on the state return (Oregon), check with your state

Comment

Originally posted by Gene V View Post
                        We get a credit on the state return (Oregon), check with your state
                        I stand corrected>>In NY it is a mail in rebate.
                        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

My question to the OP is was this new construction? Replacement Windows qualify, but if there was no original sunroom would a new sunroom count for any Window or Door credit?

Ohio had a mail in program for appliances, but you had to mail in at time of purchase, before the refund money ran out.

Comment

So many questions

I am still trying to figure this one out.

T/p has contacted the contractor for additional paperwork and questions (of course the contractor) told them it would qualify for the energy credits.

It was an addition to the existing residence or a room that was converted to a sunroom, not sure which one yet.

so any thoughts and pointers on this one would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                            X