annuity rollovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I learned today about annuities

What I learned today about annuities could fill a book.

This lady had 2 problems...first of all, she talked to them about a 1035 exchange so she KNEW that the money had to go to another financial institution. But then she got impatient and had them send her a check which in itself nullified a 1035 exchange and made the distribution taxable.

The second problem was that she withdrew another $3000 in December. IF that had been a 1035 exchange no other withdrawals are allowed during a 12 month period. So if she had done an exchange it would have been nullified by the December withdrawal.

Next we asked about whether she was getting back interest or some of her principal. She has a non-qualified plan. Withdrawals from a non qualified plan are automatically interest until the interest is gone, then it is principal.
    She had the money in different "buckets" paying different interest rates. We were thinking too that she took the money from one bucket so part of that would be her principal. Not so!! Any withdrawals from the account are interest first...doesn't matter what bucket they are in.

I spent an hour and 15 minutes on the phone with the client and the representative from the life insurance company. I think the client knows now exactly what she can and can't do. She is just mad at them now and wants to move all her money. It will be the same somewhere else I'm sure.

Linda EA

Comment

Well, she better check out the surrender charges if she wants to yank out the money from where it is now. They can be pretty stiff. (They are in the contract -- may be for as long as 15 years down to 5. Average is about 7.) Salespersons get huge commissions on these products, and I am not against them, per se. Have two of them myself. You just need to know what you have and its unique characteristics. And beware of ANYONE who wants you to cash in the one you've got and take out a new one.

Comment

Working...
      X