• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilot

Client was self employed from Jan - Jun 06 in FL
    Moved to IL in July.

Since July, he is a pilot.

I will take, Moving expenses, Part year Residence in IL and Part in FL (No state Tax)

I think for Pilot, he can take more allowance (70%) for meal expenses

This is the first return I will be doing for Pilot. Can you please help me things to look for a "Pilot" tax return. He is Pilot for commercial airline in US (Non military)

Thanks!

P.S. I will be able to provide more info, once I see client next week.

The main thing that pops into my mind is to determine his tax home. It might be his home place or another place where he starts off and not travel expenses allowed between home and tax home if applicable.

Comment

Originally posted by RLymanC
      Generally a pilots tax home is the city he regularly flies out of, not where his home is located. Parking fees for his home base are not deductable.

Number of Days Away From Home**=________ X $__________= meal deduction using the transportation rate (DOT rate)
      Union Dues
      Uniforms, Shoes, Jackets, Sweaters, etc.
      Uniform Maintenance (Cleaners)
      Education Expenses, Books, Seminars, Trainning
      Telephone, Cellular & Pager
      Answering Machine, Answering service fees
      Luggage, Carts, Tote Bags
      Makeup, Nylons, Personal Care items, Hair Driers, etc
      Batteries, Alarm Clocks, Flashlights, Safety Equipment
      Taxi Fares, Tips, Away From Home Parking Fees
      Bidding Service Fees & Publications
      Passports, Photos, Badges, Currency Exchange Fees
      Medical Exams

Here are some. Pilots are creative,,,,,I'm sure there is more.

Look at the W-2 Box 14,,,generally the airline company will show all reimursed travel expenses there. Deduct on form 2106 only those expenses that are not included on the
      W-2, if done in that manner you won't need to include company reimbursements.
      "Number of Days Away From Home=________ X $__________= meal deduction using the transportation rate (DOT rate)"

Thank you. This helps a lot.

Also, what do you mean by tax home vs. reg home (where he lives).
      He is a pilot of Continental air line. Does air provide any report etc.?
      If he goes to airport by taxi from his home, can he deduct it?

Thanks!

Comment

If a pilot lives Fresno CA and his flights originate in Oakland, Oakland is his tax home. All expenses from Fresno to Oakland and returning to Fresno are none deductable. Where a pilot chooses to live is his choice.
        Thank you for your answer. I got more information from this Pilot. This is my first Pilot return.

Here is the info for 2005. Graduated in 2004. Single.

(1) Jan - June lived in Florida and flew from florida - Has W-2 income. Also has Code "L" in box 12 as you indicated. He used to get $1.62 per hour as per diem. His W-2 is only $6,800. His W-2 shows IL wages and IL tax

(2) Flight instruction income from Florida - 1099 from the company. Is there anything he can deduct here? Staying Florida - Hotel, meals etc.

(3) Went to Houston from July-Aug for Traning. I think this can be considerd as extension of Florida stay.

(4) Came to Illinois, where he stays with his parent, Aug 16-Dec 31- 05

(5) He flies out of Cleveland, OH (Tax Home). Goes to Houston, NJ etc.

(6) He has records of expenses (total). I think he can deduct expenses on his return for Staying in Houston, and NJ (not cleveland?) after taking out code "L" amount on W-2.

His wages are so low, he is single. Std deduction plus Exemtion would reuce his taxable income to below zero any way without taking any deduction on 2106 etc.

Just forget everything and do a normal return since his taxable income would be below zero anyway?

Thanks

Comment

Hooboy... that's a load of info. I think you should get that tax attorney in FL giving the 1031 exchange advice to work on this one!

Comment

Makeup, Nylons, Personal Care items, Hair Driers, etc
            You get a lot of male pilots deducting nylons & makeup?

For taking a hair dryer, that would need to be one the only use when traveling. Nylons I would not take. Makeup & personal care items I would take only as part of M & I when away from home.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
              Hooboy... that's a load of info. I think you should get that tax attorney in FL giving the 1031 exchange advice to work on this one!
              IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO HELP, DO NOT HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT DO NOT TAKE SOME ONE'S BREAD AND BUTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOUR COMMENTS MAKES NO SENSE. YOU SHOULD SEE DOCTOR!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered

I am GLAD atleast you read information!! Why don't you summarize and retype it!

Is my reply too long for you?!!

Different unregistered person.

Comment

Women pilots

are common
                  Confucius say:
                  He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

Working...
                  X