Trip Required for College Course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trip Required for College Course

I have a client that took several college courses last year which would qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit. A requirement of one of the classes was a trip abroad to Indonesia. While there, the students attended lectures and classes pertaining to the course as well as doing service projects in the local public schools. The cost of the trip was set by the college and payment was made to the college. I know travel as a form of education is not normally deductible, but what are your thoughts on the cost of the trip being a qualified education expense?

My thoughts are that if the course/s were offered locally the trip is not deductible. If you find that it is deductible then the portion of the trip that was not part of learning would also not be deductible.
    I base this on the premise that if you take course/s on an ocean voyage that are available reasonably locally then the cost of the trip is not deductible.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

because the trip was set up by the college and payment was made to the college, why couldn't it qualify?

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
        My thoughts are that if the course/s were offered locally the trip is not deductible. If you find that it is deductible then the portion of the trip that was not part of learning would also not be deductible.
        I base this on the premise that if you take course/s on an ocean voyage that are available reasonably locally then the cost of the trip is not deductible.
        The trip was three weeks long and part of the course. The rest of the course was classroom lecture at the college.

Comment

what kind of course/s are we talking about. Could they have been attended locally or anywhere within the TPs home state? If so then I would not expense the travel.
          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxmom34 View Post
            because the trip was set up by the college and payment was made to the college, why couldn't it qualify?
            I thought this was a tuition deduction/credit. Not travel to get the education. That would be like deducting travel to a college in another state in order to take a class, wouldn't it?

Comment

Working...
            X