Jazzercise instructor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jazzercise instructor

TP is now in business. She was told "by the other girls" that she could deduct all her clothes, shoes, and mileage from her home to the gym. She only teaches in one place. I tried to explain we all drive to work, and wear clothes. Didn't go over well. Is jazzercise instructors different? Would you consider their workplace at home? She would like to claim her new computer that downloads music 100% business, but it is in her home. How does she claim 100% use? Can she when it is at home? I'm I being a stickler?

No, you are correct.

These instuctors are no different than any other job.
    no on the milage from home to work.
    no on regular clothes. If they can be worn outside of work they do not count.
    the computer?? have her log the hours of use for a couple of months?? yeah , right. will never happen. how can she prove business use %? use a small percentage and call it even.
    AJ, EA

Comment

"Somewhat" deductible

"Plain" workclothes are not deductible. Funny how that means a lawyer can't deduct their expensive suits and now we're also telling this girl she can't deduct her leotards and knee-high socks.

I'm going to back off this position somewhat. Whatever can be associated with a specialty occupation should be a deduction. And if not unusual, then the excess use should be a deduction. Going through 5 pair of Nikes instead of 1 should count for something.

These are not street clothes. Some measure of these work expenses should be a deduction. Leotards, yes. Tank tops, no.

Commuting (if not additional mileage to regular job) is not deductible.

Computer would be a real stretch. She should have to show how the computer use transfers to her job. The old '80's style "boom box" would be a more supportable deduction.
      Last edited by Nashville; 03-15-2011, 04:26 PM.

Comment

I'll side with Nashville on this. The clothes would only be worn in public if you were attending a "Staying Alive" or "Flashdance" revival party. Ditto on the shoes since they are not to be worn outside. As to the music they all use the same music for the same routine but they must own their copy so Jazzercise doesn't have the copyright issues. I'd allow the $.99 per song fee the music sites charge.
        In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
        Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Paid as an employee or independent contractor?

Comment

paid as an indep cont. I agree with you all, some special clothes, music,.. but you should have heard the disappointment in her voice. She even mentioned office in the home which I nixed pretty quick with the red flag thing. May lose her, maybe go to where the rest of the girls go to take all expenses. I just hate when clients hear all this great info and we have to deflate their balloon

Comment

Received email from TP that the other girls say their "CPA" takes mileage and all necessary expenses. What to do?!

Comment

Simple. Advise her to have the CPA prepare her tax returns. You do NOT need this
                type of client.

Comment

If she goes from her first job and then to the gym to teach (in the same day without going home), would the miles be deductible then? If she goes home from the first job and then to the gym ( the second job) in the same day, deductible? I've been looking at TTB chart about deductible travel expenses.

Comment

home office

Her home office might be the place where she does all of her administrative work. If so she has a home office and driving is deductible. I think 100% of her computer is a stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by JenMO View Post
                      If she goes from her first job and then to the gym to teach (in the same day without going home), would the miles be deductible then? If she goes home from the first job and then to the gym ( the second job) in the same day, deductible? I've been looking at TTB chart about deductible travel expenses.
                      If you go from first job to second those miles are deductible. If you go home first and then to the second work location they are all commuting miles.

I find the idea of a home office for that to be a huge stretch and doubt if she could qualify the space for an office. She has a regular place of business and i am fairly certain there is a work area there for book work.
                      AJ, EA

Comment

Working...
                      X