taxable scholarships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

taxable scholarships

go on line 7. Does this automatically mean that this is considered earned income for purposes of increasing the standard deduction for a dependent?

I think So

I believe this is earned income for any purpose whatsoever.

Just make sure the scholarship is attached to work and qualifies to be put on line 7 instead of just reducing the tuition expenses for Education credits.

Comment

Why would there be a difference, I thought any taxable scholarship needs to be reported on line 7. This scholarship is moved to student's income to maximize AOC for parents. Just showing my ignorance, I guess.

Comment

Scholarships

Not all scholarships are taxable income. In order to be income, the amount has to be attached to some measure of work - either for the university or under work/study program.

For example, a typical academic scholarship to simply apply against tuition is not considered "work" - although the student may toil for hours studying. Often a 1098-T shows a "grant" - which is nothing more than a gift from some kind of fund which finances education for that purpose.

For example, the math works beautifully by taking a scholarship, showing it as income, taxing the student at a maximum of 10-15%, then taking a huge educational credit of some 20% or more. But it is not allowed if the scholarship is not attached to some kind of work.

Comment

Ok, the 1040 TTB pg. 12-7 only distinguishes between restricted and unrestricted scholarships/grants. Most of the scholarships/grants for my student are restricted to be used for tuition, books, etc. $500 is not restricted - just free money.

Why can't I use this $500 as income to the student and thereby increase the AOC for the parents. Do I misunderstand TTB?

Comment

I think so

Gretel, I don't conclude from TTB the same as you do.

A grant is a gift. Certainly not "income" in the sense of any gift, and DEFINITELY not earned income.

The "restricted" versus "unrestricted" continuum is not the same as the "income" versus "not income" classification.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Rocket View Post
              Gretel, I don't conclude from TTB the same as you do.

A grant is a gift. Certainly not "income" in the sense of any gift, and DEFINITELY not earned income.
              Pub. 970, pg. 6 says that a need based grant is treated the same as a scholarship. Meaning, in my opinion, that it depends on how funds were used if it is taxable or not.

Originally posted by Golden Rocket View Post
              The "restricted" versus "unrestricted" continuum is not the same as the "income" versus "not income" classification.
              I agree that just because a scholarship is unrestricted doesn't make it automatically taxable. Again it depends on how the funds are used. I believe the student can use an unrestricted scholarship for non-qualifying expenses, include the amount in income and free some of the qualifying education expenses for their parents to use for AOC.

Question still remains if a need based grant that is used for room and board is earned income. and if not, why not if to be reported on Line 7 and Pub. 970 says is same as scholarship. I am looking for guidance and wonder if I am off with my thinking.

Comment

Working...
              X