Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still researching on this, but I wanted to glean the vast knowledge on this board. I have a partner with distributions in excess of the basis as best as I can figure it. But the distributions are not in excess of the capital account. So far, I'm understanding that the partner pays capital gains tax on the excess distribution is excess of BASIS, am I going the right direction on this?

When using the alternate method of assets as if the business were liquidated, the excess distributions aren't as much that way. But if I follow the basis through year to year it's a larger amount, is that the right way?

Comment

I haven't got any responses yet, is this a stupid question? Please forgive me if it is. I'm still learning on 1065's so help is very much appreciated!

Comment

Partnership Distributions

Not a stupid question at all. I don't do a lot of 1065s either, and they can get really complicated really fast.

I purchased the CPE course called Small Business Tax Review, and it covers this topic. I'm definitely going to earn the 8 hours of CPE credit. I probably won't try to take the exam until some time in June.

Here's what the book says:

Tax effects of distributions on partners. A partner pays tax on income at the time the income is earned, not when the income is distributed. Therefore, distributions to partners are generally not taxable. Exception: A distribution of money is taxable if the amount of the distribution exceeds the partner's adjusted basis in the partnership interest.
        It also says:

Gain. Gain will not be recognized by a partner in a current distribution unless money is distributed. Gain is recognized only if the amount of money received exceeds the partner's adjusted basis in the partnership.
        So, yes, you're on the right track. But be aware that distributions of property are treated very differently from distributions of money.

You mentioned "using the alternate method of assets as if the business were liquidated." There's definitely a difference in the tax treatment. A distribution is either a current distribution or a liquidating distribution. But it's not about liquidating the business. Rather, it's about liquidating the partner's interest.

The interest of one partner can be liquidated without liquidating the entire partnership.

Hope this helps.

BMK
        Last edited by Koss; 03-14-2011, 09:54 AM.
        Burton M. Koss
        koss@usakoss.net

Comment

It does, thank you, I have to get CPE courses too, and will check on that one!!!! Thanks for your time!!!!!

Comment

OK, I've researched and came to the conclusion that this partner must take a gain for the distributions exceeding basis. My question now is how to report it? I didn't see a good place on Sched. D, not really a dividend, but must do that way?????

Comment

Schedule D

Schedule D, line 5 or line 12

BMK
              Burton M. Koss
              koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Wait a minute...

My answer was for reporting the gain on the partner's Form 1040.

Are you doing the partner's Form 1040, or are you preparing the 1065?

BMK
                Burton M. Koss
                koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Both, thanks! I know it goes on the 1040

Comment

Burton, Where did you get the CPE course on Small Business Tax Review? I think I would like to take that one too.

Linda, EA

Comment

Reporting of Gain

I think you have reached the correct conclusion that the partner needs to report the gain (the amount of the distribution that exceeds his adjusted basis) on his individual tax return. And as I noted in the previous post, I think it belongs on Schedule D, either on line 5 or line 12.

But on the Form 1065, and on the partner's Schedule K-1, I don't think you need to report the taxable gain at all. You simply report the partner's gross distribution on line 19 of Schedule K-1.

It is the partner's responsibility (or perhaps your responsibility, since you are preparing his 1040) to determine what portion of the distribution on line 19 of the K-1 is taxable, and then to report it on the applicable line of his return, which in this case is either line 5 or line 12 of his Schedule D.

I don't think the taxable portion of the distribution gets reported anywhere on the 1065, or on the Schedule K-1. On the partnership return, and on the K-1, you only report the gross distribution.

BMK
                      Last edited by Koss; 03-14-2011, 01:40 AM.
                      Burton M. Koss
                      koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Small Business Course

Right here at TTB

TheTaxBook is the #1 fast-answer tax publication in America. Our publications provide fast answers to tax questions for tax practitioners!

Last year, I purchased the Individual Tax Review and the New Tax Law Review.

This year, I purchased Clients with Children, Small Business Tax Review, and IRS Rules for Ethics.

I've been pleased with every one of them.

BMK
                        Last edited by Koss; 03-14-2011, 01:42 AM.
                        Burton M. Koss
                        koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Got that, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X