Kid messed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kid messed up

When filing parents return electronically it was rejected for a previous use of SSN. The 17 year old son had apparently filed on line and claimed himself. Income was less than $5,000 on son's return.

Will mail in parents return claiming son.

What would be the fastest way for parents to file sons return? Amend the son's without dependency or file subsequent return taking the dependency off since it is not April 18.

Would it make a difference to include a copy of sons amended/subsequent return with the parent's return with note of explanation?

this happens often

You may want to check if you can e file the amended return for son. Also, paper returns take so long it would be faster to 1.amend son 2. hold parents possibly filing extension. 3. efile parents when son's amended return is processed.

Comment

I would

I would mail parents' return, and mail amended kid's return. I would not worry about the timing. Just mail them separately. Someone on here suggested attaching kid's amended return to parents'.

Then, I would sell the kid at a yard sale.
      If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
        I would mail parents' return, and mail amended kid's return. I would not worry about the timing. Just mail them separately. Someone on here suggested attaching kid's amended return to parents'.

Then, I would sell the kid at a yard sale.
        Just what I did here one year; except I mailed both in same envelope to IRS service center. Saved postage.

But short of selling the kid, first I would read him the riot act and remind him that unlike baseball, he only gets one strike.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
          You may want to check if you can e file the amended return for son. Also, paper returns take so long it would be faster to 1.amend son 2. hold parents possibly filing extension. 3. efile parents when son's amended return is processed.
          You cant efile amendments.

Paper filed returns take 6-8 weeks.
          Amendments take 6-8 weeks.

Do what has already been suggested.. Paper file Parents and Paper File amendment at the same time.

Chris

Comment

Similar situation last year. Kid's older brother claimed him, even though he was in school and lived with his parents.

Kid's older brother got the refund.

Parents didn't want to "upset their children" or "cause them any problems", so they just dropped the one son as a dependent and e-filed the return.

I told them to file a paper return with the kid and let the other kid deal with the IRS.
            Jiggers, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post
              Similar situation last year. Kid's older brother claimed him, even though he was in school and lived with his parents.

Kid's older brother got the refund.

Parents didn't want to "upset their children" or "cause them any problems", so they just dropped the one son as a dependent and e-filed the return.

I told them to file a paper return with the kid and let the other kid deal with the IRS.
              Believe it or not, a lot of parents are controlled by their kids. I would not have filed the parent's return.

Comment

Originally posted by Larmil View Post
                Believe it or not, a lot of parents are controlled by their kids. I would not have filed the parent's return.
                Why not? The parents have no obligation to claim a dependent even if they're entitled to.

Comment

Originally posted by Larmil View Post
                  Believe it or not, a lot of parents are controlled by their kids.
                  You're kidding!
                  Jiggers, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
                    Why not? The parents have no obligation to claim a dependent even if they're entitled to.
                    No, but I have no obligation to file their return knowing that they have no problem with condoning a fraudulent return.

Comment

You did WHAT?

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
                      Just what I did here one year; except I mailed both in same envelope to IRS service center. Saved postage.

But short of selling the kid, first I would read him the riot act and remind him that unlike baseball, he only gets one strike.

With all due respect, putting more than one tax return into a single envelope, absent a well-written and strongly attached coversheet, is asking for trouble.....such as one return never gets processed.......

As for the kid, maybe Goodwill would take him in exchange for a small piece of white paper?

FE

Comment

Yeah, my cheapskate nephew

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                        With all due respect, putting more than one tax return into a single envelope, absent a well-written and strongly attached coversheet, is asking for trouble.....such as one return never gets processed.......

As for the kid, maybe Goodwill would take him in exchange for a small piece of white paper?

FE
                        Yeah, my cheapskate nephew mailed an LLC return and his personal return in the same envelope several years ago. IRS never got one of the returns.

Wonder what the Thrift Shop Value of a 17-year-old is, anyhow?
                        If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                          That's right. Both returns in same envelope to IRS and they processed kids 1040X first so that parent's 1040 could be property processed to claim the exemption.

Yes, there was a note attached; not a formal letter.
                          ChEAr$,
                          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
                          X