Investment - Taxable base?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investment - Taxable base?

I have 2 clients - this is their third season with me I believe. They have since married.

She has an annuity investment that started at about $250,000.
    She has been withdrawing on it each year - never taking taxes out - or never near enough (no write offs). That's about where I came in.. Obviously I tell her (& boyfriend) that she can't take from it - or if you must you have to take out an extra 1/3 to pay the Feds & State.. Does she - Nope. Takes large chunks out to help son - Pay off his bills - Rehab, etc... No taxes withheld or very little.

So in our sit down this year we had a lengthly discussion about IRS debt her stress - etc. This has been going on for some time as she only has I think about 30k left.

She then mentions her dead money. Turns out her husband died. $250k policy. How this is the first time I find this out - I'm not sure - Anyway ... This money was then invested. This is the money she has been drawing off of. A Life Insurance investment.

So, the question I have is, Since this money came from a life insurance policy from her husband is the initial investment ($250k) exempt and only the appreciation/interest taxable?

If so, I feel like a fool but look like a hero otherwise - just a fool.....

Thanks!!
    Sleep!! Tired!!
    Last edited by MAJ; 03-08-2011, 12:52 AM.
    Matthew Jones
    Tax Preparation
    Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
    Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

1099r

Not knowing for sure, whether it is Non-Qualified $$ (non-IRA) or Qualified (IRA rollover) on the "dead" money

I will ask the obvious and say what are the 1099R codes in Box 7 - that might be a clue.

I am thinking that if the Life Insurance Proceeds were rolled over to an Annuity it would be non-qualified plan (other than IRA) and then as the $$ are distributed it is return of principal (non taxable) and interest/earnings (taxable).

Or if the monies were from the decedents IRA with a beneficiary and rolled over - then it is a Qualified Rollover and then "all taxable", I am thinking - Correct?

Maybe you should obtain an account history from the Annuity Company? And find out how they have it listed in their records.

Sandy

Comment

Working...
    X