Divorced Clients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Divorced Clients

I have clients who are divorced, but are civil and try to help each other out. I believe they both support the child and maintain a home and is with each for about half the year, the divorce papers say that they will trade times to claim the child each year. I'm thinking one parent can claim the child and get the child tax credit but file as single and the other can file head of household, not claiming the child or getting the credit, will that work?

Oh, and I forgot to say that no EIC is involved here. Thanks!

Comment

OK, I'm seeing the info. now, the custodial parent is the one I want to do HOH for and they can do an 8332 to the non-custodial parent for dependency exemption and child tax credit, am I right?

Comment

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
        I have clients who are divorced, but are civil and try to help each other out. I believe they both support the child and maintain a home and is with each for about half the year, the divorce papers say that they will trade times to claim the child each year. I'm thinking one parent can claim the child and get the child tax credit but file as single and the other can file head of household, not claiming the child or getting the credit, will that work?
        Hmmmmm......I'm curious about this as well. I think this would work...without digging into it, that would be my initial thoughts. Would like to see who else chimes in on this.

Comment

The problem here is the words "About half the year" for custody. If no one has custody for more than half the year, nobody gets HOH.
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
            OK, I'm seeing the info. now, the custodial parent is the one I want to do HOH for and they can do an 8332 to the non-custodial parent for dependency exemption and child tax credit, am I right?
            Supposedly, this is how it work, yes.

Comment

The custodial parent is the one where child spends more nights than the other parent..

Comment

This problem is simple to solve with a little planning ahead of time. Both parents need to count days and be sure of the outcome and who is going to be HOH with dependent in which year.
                This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
                  This problem is simple to solve with a little planning ahead of time. Both parents need to count days and be sure of the outcome and who is going to be HOH with dependent in which year.
                  Count ye not the days, but the nights.
                  ChEAr$,
                  Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I stand corrected............as usual............thanks

Comment

my understanding?

What I understood from your post is that custodial parent wants to be HOH but wants to give dependency exemption and CTC to other parent. Is that correct?

Are you wondering if they can switch back and forth from year to year? Parent A would be HOH this year and Parent B would claim dependency exemption and CTC. The next year Parent A would claim dependency exemption and CTC and Parent B would claim HOH. Is this the scenario you are suggesting?

If so, you would have to make sure the parent claiming HOH would have the child in their home more nights that year.
                      Otherwise, it is nice they can agree to work something out that will benefit both of them. Much nicer than "I'm going to stick it to you" attitude. Tell them nice going.

Linda, EA

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
                        What I understood from your post is that custodial parent wants to be HOH but wants to give dependency exemption and CTC to other parent. Is that correct?

Are you wondering if they can switch back and forth from year to year? Parent A would be HOH this year and Parent B would claim dependency exemption and CTC. The next year Parent A would claim dependency exemption and CTC and Parent B would claim HOH. Is this the scenario you are suggesting?

If so, you would have to make sure the parent claiming HOH would have the child in their home more nights that year.
                        Otherwise, it is nice they can agree to work something out that will benefit both of them. Much nicer than "I'm going to stick it to you" attitude. Tell them nice going.

Linda, EA
                        Nice going indeed.....it's usually the other way around.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X