Donation to a Political party....first for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donation to a Political party....first for me

Never had a client come in with a donation to one of the 2 major political parties. Wants to deduct as a charitable contribution.... Look thru TTB could locate nothing about it.

No can do. Contributions to political parties are not allowed.
    Dave, EA

Comment

Some states have political credits

Although there is no federal deduction or credit, some states do have such a credit. For example, in Oregon, singles taxpayers can take a credit up to $50 and it's $100 for MFJ if a contribution is made to a political party, PAC or candidate.

Comment

Virginia also has this rule.

Comment

Ohio also has a similar credit. You can deduct $50 for Single, HOH, MFS of $100 MFJ for contributions to State wide political races, canidates or parties.
          Last edited by ToledoEd; 03-07-2011, 10:32 AM. Reason: Expanding answer

Comment

To certain

persons, not local candidates, in Minnesota you get up to $100(married) refunded. Now, I see the new Congress wants that stopped. Actually it had stopped itself also, state does not have the money. Had a client in a sales tax audited he ended up with a small refund due. At the exit interview the auditor said I have no idea when you will receive this. Welcome to Minnesota guys.

Comment

Political donations were deductible up until sometime in the late 70's.
              In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
              Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Working...
              X