This recapture does not sound correct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This recapture does not sound correct

SL 5 yr placed in service 6/1/2002. Completely depreciated @ $35517. Disposed of vehicle in 10/2010 @ a sale price of $4600 and asset gain is only $33? This is an S-Corp, does that make a difference?

I don't understand why it wouldn't be $4600 worth of Section 1245 recapture gain, reported as ordinary income on part II of 4797, then carried to part I of 1120S?

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
      SL 5 yr placed in service 6/1/2002. Completely depreciated @ $35517. Disposed of vehicle in 10/2010 @ a sale price of $4600 and asset gain is only $33? This is an S-Corp, does that make a difference?
      Are you sure the vehicle is fully depreciated? Vehicle have limitations each year the purchase price sounds a little high for being fully depreciated yet. Don't have TTB with me, so I might be off with my estimation. Also depends on type of vehicle.

Comment

Can this be correct?

Since the truck was over 6000 lbs and considered not listed property, the depreciation and recapture is calculated differently vs. a car under 6000 lbs listed property, 100% of sale price would be 100% recaptured.

The P&L I received from the bookkeeper factored a $4600 gain on this vehicle. Will this affect the balance sheet?
        Last edited by AZ-Tax; 03-09-2011, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
          Since the truck was over 6000 lbs and considered not listed property, the depreciation and recapture is calculated differently vs. a car under 6000 lbs listed property, 100% of sale price would be 100% recaptured.

The P&L I received from the bookkeeper factored a $4600 gain on this vehicle. Will this affect the balance sheet?
          Yes, the gain on the vehicle will be reflected on the balance sheet. Cash has been increased by $4600; the fixed asset account "Vehicles" has been reduced by $35517 and the accumulated depreciation account has been reduced by $35517.

Maribeth

Comment

Working...
          X