Imputed Interest - strange situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imputed Interest - strange situation

Client buys a lot for $50,000, turns around and sells it for $60,000 to spec home builder. Closing statement says sold for $60,000. However, buyer has until half a year later to pay full amount. If he can't pay then daily interest will be charged.

I am concerned about imputed interest but have no clue on what amount to base this on. Normally you don't calculate imputed interest "backwards", meaning starting with $60,000. Obviously interest is calculated in total amount they agreed on would be selling price.

Any thoughts?

Interest would be charged on the amount outstanding after 6 months, whatever that may be. Did he receive any funds at all? If so, that would be principal (down payment). Assume it was sold in 2010?

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
      Interest would be charged on the amount outstanding after 6 months, whatever that may be. Did he receive any funds at all? If so, that would be principal (down payment). Assume it was sold in 2010?
      I am fine with what happens after 6 months. No funds were exchanged at closing. Can someone sell a property with a postponed payment date (6months) and not have any interest income?

The sale just happened. This is a client I do bookkeeping for and want to put it on the books correctly.

Comment

Working...
      X