Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: More or Less preparers after testing mandate kicks in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poll: More or Less preparers after testing mandate kicks in?

What does everybody think. Once mandate testing kicks in, CE and the continue fees....will we see more Tax Preparers or less?

Don 't think

I just don't think it matters,
    will just be more "self-prepared" returns for those that don't have a PTIN or are registered -those that want to continue will circumvent by self-prepared and not sign their names as per usual, will still collect fees from certain clients.

I think some will drop - but just a small amount, and the ones (like we have as posters on this Board, will either register and/or will go obtain their EA).

Sandy

Comment

Less, but not significantly less. I can't imagine how it would create more. I'm guessing the number of registered preparers will be less than actual preparers though. No doubt people will do things like claim every return they do is "self-prepared" and only list themselves as the ERO, or something like that.

Comment

More "self prepared" returns. The government in it's usual ignorance will consider this effort a significant victory.

Comment

I can see the IRS catching the unregistered preparers -- make most returns ineligible for paper filing and then require personal registration of every copy of Turbotax, etc when sold. They could probably add a tracking cookie to every e-filed return and we would never know. I'm not saying they want to do this (yet) but it would make life difficult for the unregistered.

Comment

Self prepared returns will increase and so will unreported income
            Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Hi Snowshine.

Originally posted by snowshine View Post
              I can see the IRS catching the unregistered preparers -- make most returns ineligible for paper filing and then require personal registration of every copy of Turbotax, etc when sold. They could probably add a tracking cookie to every e-filed return and we would never know. I'm not saying they want to do this (yet) but it would make life difficult for the unregistered.
              For some reason, I think I read the government will do just as you outlined above to track TT and other tax prep software. However, I think as slow as they are-this won't happen for 15 or more years. I probably will have given up tax prep by then and will laugh at the good old days.

I agree also with the poster that said IRS will see more self-prepared returns as some kind of victory not realizing the income that's not being reported and the hand they had in making it so. Our oh so stupid legislators.

Comment

Working...
              X