Electric Cooperative Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Cooperative Check

For the past 3 years, my client has received a check (2 actually - one to her deceased husband as well) from her electric co-op provider that states it is a Capital Credit retirement check. It says "this represents the retirement of year 1990 and/or approx 4.15% of the balance of your total capital credit allocation. Capital credits are paid back in cash to the members as the Cooperative is financially able to make repayments." No 1099 is issued. I don't think this is taxable income. Any opinions.

I agree with you. Non-taxable if it pertains to an individual and taxable if associated with a business.

Comment

Neal

If it was taxable they would have sent a 1099

Comment

Originally posted by neallove View Post
        If it was taxable they would have sent a 1099
        ....but only if it was $600 or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
          I agree with you. Non-taxable if it pertains to an individual and taxable if associated with a business.
          The reason being, that if it is a business, they would have deducted the electricity cost from taxable income, I am assuming?

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
            The reason being, that if it is a business, they would have deducted the electricity cost from taxable income, I am assuming?
            Yes, this is what it is. Same as receiving a refund from business insurance company or any other refund associated with the business.

Comment

If the taxpayers didn't deduct any of their utility expense from a Schedule C, E, or F, then the capital credit rebate is tax free.

If they deducted the extense, then it is taxable.

If they deducted only a percentage of the expense, then the rebate is taxable at the same percentage rate.
              Jiggers, EA

Comment

Working...
              X