Dist in excess of RE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dist in excess of RE

Scorp Client took too much distribution (more than RE and net income). It is $35,000 more.

If I leave it as it is on Pro series it shows Dist in excess of RE and balancehseet does not balance.

Client does not want to transfer to due from officer.

How can I handle. It will be capital gain tax, right? Does it go on K1 or should I just leave it on pro series and add to dividend on his personal return.

Originally posted by TAX View Post
    Scorp Client took too much distribution (more than RE and net income). It is $35,000 more.

If I leave it as it is on Pro series it shows Dist in excess of RE and balancehseet does not balance.

Client does not want to transfer to due from officer.

How can I handle. It will be capital gain tax, right? Does it go on K1 or should I just leave it on pro series and add to dividend on his personal return.
    Two things are going on:

The distributions in excess of basis will be taxed on the s/h return on Schedule D. The taking into income of the distribution will restore the s/h's basis back to -0-.

The retained earnings on the corporation are what they are. You have a negative retained earnings due to the distribution and now have a retained deficit.

Maribeth

Comment

Originally posted by Maribeth View Post
      Two things are going on:

The distributions in excess of basis will be taxed on the s/h return on Schedule D. The taking into income of the distribution will restore the s/h's basis back to -0-.

The retained earnings on the corporation are what they are. You have a negative retained earnings due to the distribution and now have a retained deficit.

Maribeth
      So where should I put -ve $35000 on balancehseet (In Liability section)? That way I can balance the balancesheet.

Thanks!

Comment

Negative RE goes in the RE box.

Comment

Working...
        X