Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Child just received a SS#, can we amend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Child just received a SS#, can we amend?

Adopted child was raised by an American father but it took him over 10 years to get a social security number and accepted for US citizenship this past November - he had to jump through many immigration hoops.

So, if the child now has a valid SS#, 1) can we include him on the 2010 1040 - I'm assuming we can surely do this and 2) would I be able to amend 07, 08, and 09 with the child and have this guy claim head of household?

Thanks,

New SSN

Yes, you can.

Comment

Yes, but...

Was the child a US citizen or resident alien during 2007 and 2008?

The answer may have an impact on those years. I am not saying that he cannot claim the child as a dependent for those years. But there are special rules that apply when a dependent is not a US citizen or resident alien. In some cases, it can even make a difference what country the child is from...

BMK
      Burton M. Koss
      koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Adopted Child

The following text is from Pub. 17:

Citizen or Resident Test

You cannot claim a person as a dependent unless that person is a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico. However, there is an exception for certain adopted children, as explained next.

Exception for adopted child. If you are a U.S. citizen or U.S. national who has legally adopted a child who is not a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, or U.S. national, this test is met if the child lived with you as a member of your household all year. This exception also applies if the child was lawfully placed with you for legal adoption.

BMK
        Burton M. Koss
        koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Illegals do this all the time. They file returns using their W-7 number and when they get their SS# for all the family they amend all open years for the EIC.
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Thank You!!!

Originally posted by okie1tax View Post
            Yes, you can.
            THANK YOU!

Originally posted by Koss View Post
            Was the child a US citizen or resident alien during 2007 and 2008?

The answer may have an impact on those years. I am not saying that he cannot claim the child as a dependent for those years. But there are special rules that apply when a dependent is not a US citizen or resident alien. In some cases, it can even make a difference what country the child is from...

BMK
            The child was not a US Citizen, but a resident alien during 2007 and 2008...he has been since he's been brought over to the US and adopted by my client over 10 years ago.

Originally posted by Koss View Post
            The following text is from Pub. 17:

BMK
            THANK YOU!

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
            Illegals do this all the time. They file returns using their W-7 number and when they get their SS# for all the family they amend all open years for the EIC.
            Excellent. Thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
            X