Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad debt expense

HELP!!

Just reviewed a previous return for a new client. Old CPA (disbarred last year!) took several deductions that I think are wrong.

1) 179 deduction for full cost of 2004 Pontiac GTO purchased in 2004 (this is a car, not a truck) - don't think this qualified for full deduction

2) Bad debt deduction for cash basis sole proprieter activity (don't know that amount was included in gross income, but most likely not)

How do you tell the client, "Not only do you owe this year, but we need to ammend your previous year and you're going to owe several thousand in SE and income tax because your last accountant took deductions you weren't eligible for".

Just those two deductions will increase income by roughly $60,000, with a resulting tax of almost $20,000, not to mention penalties and interest. What do others do in a situation like this?

You can let him know in no uncertain terms what the situation is. Be candid about it.

I would however let sleeping dogs lie. Maybe the IRS would not catch it.Let the client know that if they do then he will have to pay.
    Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Inform the client the previous tax preparer made some major goofs on the return and should be required to amend the returns for free and pay all penalties and interest. The CPA being disbarred is irrelevant. He or she is still liable for previous errors.

Comment

Working...
      X