Injured Spouse(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Injured Spouse(s)

What is the thought about a couple filing injured spouse where both have this problem? Bringing into the marriage, wife owes back taxes, and husband owes child support. MFJ helps reduce taxable income but neither one wants previous debt allocated to other. Any suggestion or does the idea work to enter 8379's for both spouses. Have encountered this so I am wondering. Just husband and wife, no child.

Thanks.

rfk

This is purely off the top of my head

Originally posted by rfk View Post
    What is the thought about a couple filing injured spouse where both have this problem? Bringing into the marriage, wife owes back taxes, and husband owes child support. MFJ helps reduce taxable income but neither one wants previous debt allocated to other. Any suggestion or does the idea work to enter 8379's for both spouses. Have encountered this so I am wondering. Just husband and wife, no child.

Thanks.

rfk
    and it is a very tired head at that.

Hypothetical scenario -
    MFJ Potential Refund = $3,000
    Husband owes = $1,000 child support
    Wife owes = $7,000 back taxes.

In the above case, I would file Form 8379 in favor of the husband since he owes the least amount in this scenario. That would, hopefully, maximize any realized refund (of course, his delinquent child support would be withheld).

Am I missing something?
    Just because I look dumb does not mean I am not.

Comment

Main thing is

The wife has money owed as mentioned - back taxes - and husband owes for child support. The goal for their situation is for both of them to not be liable for the others debt. I suppose that if the husband does not make that much money, it is a moot point.

But in the end, the wife will not want to be held liable for husband's past child support IF any refund is due. However, at present, for the wife, there is money from back taxes and potentially money due from this filing season. So I am wondering what the best thing to do is regarding both individuals.

Thanks again.

rfk

Comment

I would think if each filed an injured spouse form only their part of the refund would be allocated to their individual liability. In essence, one or both could get a refund based on their individual liability. But the important part is that each would be only paying their liability, which is the request of the T/P'ers.

Make sense????
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Yes it makes sense

Makes sense, Bob. If it flies, the notion is what is wanted. Just have to make sure it flies with the IRS, etc. Most important thing is that they have the benefit of MFJ (afforded deductions) and the benefit of not paying the others debt liability. So if this does the trick I am all for it!

Thanks, Bob.

rfk

PS: I may have the IRS chime in on it too.

Comment

Don't know why it shouldn't work.... First they figure T/P and spouse's refund amount and then pull the individual's debt amount from that calculation. If one has an excess, it will get refunded.
            Last edited by BOB W; 02-26-2011, 10:29 PM.
            This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Working...
            X