Rule of Thumb - Rental FMV split between land and building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rule of Thumb - Rental FMV split between land and building

Just curious how others handle this matter. A client of mine moved to another state and converted their prior residence to a rental property and it has been rented ever since. My question, how do you allocated the FMV of the rental property between land and building for purposes of depreciating the building. Is there a rule of thumb or something more technical that I'm missing? There is no appraisal at the time of conversion. Any input appreciated.

Much thanks.

Brian
    "The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax" - Albert Einstein

Could depend on the State Values

I have always used the property tax assessment, as it gives the assessor's land to bldg ratios.

Sandy

Comment

That works!!

Perfect. Much thanks.

Brian
      "The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax" - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by bbrownatl View Post
        Just curious how others handle this matter. A client of mine moved to another state and converted their prior residence to a rental property and it has been rented ever since. My question, how do you allocated the FMV of the rental property between land and building for purposes of depreciating the building. Is there a rule of thumb or something more technical that I'm missing? There is no appraisal at the time of conversion. Any input appreciated.

Much thanks.

Brian
        I've used those as well.......but have found that some towns don't reevaluate properties for years and could be well undervalued or in this economy, just the opposite. I've used real estate assessments from a local Realtor.....they've always provided them free as they want to earn your business down the road. This to avoid the high appraisal fees.

Comment

Good Point

Coming from California and they re-value each year, Huge changes there in the last couple of years both land and bldg values have decreased and sometimes the percentage ratio changes as well, but there is an annual assessment.

now that I am in NC only re-evaluates every 5-7 years, so remains constant until that re-evaluation year.

Are the realtors in your area able to provide the changes on the land to bldg values and provide you with amounts for percentage ratios

I will have to check with our local realtor here in NC?

Sandy
          Last edited by S T; 02-25-2011, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Small towns watch out....

I've had some small towns not re-eval for 20 years as they never had money in the budget to pay anyone to do it. I wonder if they actually did it, the increase in taxes would pay for this person, eh?

Comment

Best I can remember if we had something like that and couldn't establish a value for the land we would take 20% of the amount we did have and allocate it to land.

Don't know how accurate that is or if it would stand up to an audit, but that is what I learned during my time at HRB.

Linda, EA

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
                Best I can remember if we had something like that and couldn't establish a value for the land we would take 20% of the amount we did have and allocate it to land.

Don't know how accurate that is or if it would stand up to an audit, but that is what I learned during my time at HRB.

Linda, EA
                Yeah, that's held up in audits I've done. I've used 10% before....depends on the local, amount of land involved, etc.

Comment

Years Past

In Calif that would not have worked, Assessor was placing 45% - 65% to land value, probably not now

Sandy

Comment

Land

Would never work in my area. Even when at HRB, it was more like 80% land. So many are tear-downs to build the McMansions, that it's almost ALL land. I use the property tax card when it's recent, realtor advice otherwise. When going through an audit with rental property, the auditor was pleased that I used the town's evaluation ratio from close to the year when client turned property into rental.

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
                      Coming from California and they re-value each year, now that I am in NC only re-evaluates every 5-7 years, so remains constant until that re-evaluation year.Sandy
                      I believe it is the locality which does the evaluations, not the state, so the time frame can vary widely from burg to burg.

Comment

can you take the FMV at time it became a rental if that is more than the original cost plus improvements?
                        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Basis for Depreciation

From Pub 537
                          Basis of Depreciable
                          Property
                          The basis of property used in a rental activity
                          generally its adjusted basis when you place it
                          service in that activity. This is its cost or other
                          basis when you acquired it, adjusted for certain
                          items occurring before you place it in service
                          the rental activity.
                          If you depreciate your property under