Union Dues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Union Dues

Client came in told me his union dues were 10,471.05. He gave me his last pay stub showing deductions of scholarship fund, work dues, apprentice training, administrative, and job recovery. Are all of these considered union dues? Thanks for any responses, I know everyones time is valuable. By the way all the deductions add up to 10,471.05.

Originally posted by RNuse09 View Post
    Client came in told me his union dues were 10,471.05. He gave me his last pay stub showing deductions of scholarship fund, work dues, apprentice training, administrative, and job recovery. Are all of these considered union dues? Thanks for any responses, I know everyones time is valuable. By the way all the deductions add up to 10,471.05.
    The scholarship fund might not be if he has the option of not choosing to contribute.
    Put another way, only the items which are absolutely required and without which he couldn't hold his job are deductible.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

union dues

I would only accept those funds deducted from his paycheck that allows him to work.

Comment

Originally posted by RNuse09 View Post
        The unions I have encountered on the employer side only had the actual dues and vacation pay as to be paid by the employee - deducted from net pay. All others items were to be paid by the employer some tax free, some as taxable fringe benefits.

You want to see the one pay stub to see what actually was included in gross pay.

Comment

Deductions and Benefits

There is a deductions and benefits section of his pay stub. Total deductions is listed as work dues 5211 YTD and Vacation 5125.65 YTD. I don't understand how vacation could be part of union dues. Apprentice training, administrative, job receovery, and scholarship fund are not lusted as deductions but as beneifts. Sorry I never had a union worker before.

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
            The scholarship fund might not be if he has the option of not choosing to contribute.
            The obvious question about the scholarship fund is whether it qualifies as a charitable contribution.

Comment

What type of work does he do? I've seen electricians that paid that much in dues, they pay a monthly amount to belong to the local and more on each job they do, usually a % of the pay. I would tell him to get a statement from the union local office about how much dues he was credited for that year.
              "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

electrician

He is a union electrician.

Comment

vacation pay

Vacation pay is withheld from union member's pay, remitted to a Vacation Fund for withdrawal by union member from Fund, probably at specified time during the year. It is not dues or assessments.

Comment

ted m or anyone

Are you saying that the vacation pay is not tax deductible? It looks to me as though it would have to be deductible when put in the system or else not taxable when it comes out.

Comment

What do you think?

It would apprear to me that all the deductions I lised above would be deducted as union dues. Union fees that are not decutible are for sick, death benefits, and pension fund contributions. I found specifically whre job recovery is deductible. How do you guys feel? I aslo believe vacation pay is not deductible.

Comment

vacation pay

erchess, the vacation pay is after tax dollars. It simply is a form of a savings account for the member. One idea behind such accounts is that when work is slow, there is the member's vacation fund that the member can withdraw.

Comment

Working...
                        X