Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"I know I gave it to you" Sorry I dont have it...how do you handle it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I know I gave it to you" Sorry I dont have it...how do you handle it?

"I know I gave you that document" but reality is they didnt. I encourage my clients to scan all their tax documents for several reasons and one is to have easy access withn their PC and the other is the email with the tax related documents attached that was emailed to me is a record for both of us which tax docuemnt were actually emailed to me. At one time I thought of taking an inventory of documents the client brings in kinda like a spread sheet with column headings left to right like: 1099-R, W-2, etc. then in the row enter the issuer name, then enter the number of 1099-R's issued by that issuer. Basically its a 'he said she said situation". As of this year, for questionable clients, I NO longer will take on a client who does not have an email address unless within the first meeting, they convince me otherwise and I think everyone reading this know my reasoning behind this. Any precautions anyone takes to avoid the "I know I gave you that document" but reality they didnt.

ask for another copy

I guess the only thing to do is to say that you can't find it and that you have looked through all the paperwork you have from them. You can ask them to get the information for you again.

Most returns I try to do while people are sitting in front of me. (know some of you have different ideas on this)
    I try to compare to last year's return when I am sitting with a client to make sure we have everything. I also put everything in an envelope while they are sitting there. But it has happened to all of us. So don't feel bad.

Tell them you went through the trash and searched your desk but can't find it. Can they please get you the information again.

Hope you find it or get another copy.

Linda, EA

Comment

Same Effect

Here's one way to handle it, although we don't have to be as trite as I suggest below:

"You didn't give it to me." Bottom line effect: I don't have it.
      "You did give it to me and I lost it." Bottom line effect: I don't have it.

Now that we're at exactly the same place in the journey, how do we get it and finish your tax return?

Comment

i WOULD LOSE

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
        "I know I gave you that document" but reality is they didnt. I encourage my clients to scan all their tax documents for several reasons and one is to have easy access withn their PC and the other is the email with the tax related documents attached that was emailed to me is a record for both of us which tax docuemnt were actually emailed to me. At one time I thought of taking an inventory of documents the client brings in kinda like a spread sheet with column headings left to right like: 1099-R, W-2, etc. then in the row enter the issuer name, then enter the number of 1099-R's issued by that issuer. Basically its a 'he said she said situation". As of this year, for questionable clients, I NO longer will take on a client who does not have an email address unless within the first meeting, they convince me otherwise and I think everyone reading this know my reasoning behind this. Any precautions anyone takes to avoid the "I know I gave you that document" but reality they didnt.
        80% of my clients if I required them to have email address. I dont even scan any documents. tried to , lost everything when backup hard drive failed. not worht the extra time and effort.
        AJ, EA

Comment

Hrb

The old HRB trick is to staple all the original documents together in the top left corner. If it's not within the staple, the client never brought it to the office. (That was a CYA for POM claims: "That 1099 doesn't have staple holes that line up, so you didn't give it to your preparer.")

Comment

I actually won

Originally posted by Lion View Post
            The old HRB trick is to staple all the original documents together in the top left corner. If it's not within the staple, the client never brought it to the office. (That was a CYA for POM claims: "That 1099 doesn't have staple holes that line up, so you didn't give it to your preparer.")
            I actually won a case (showdown) with a (former) client once with the OSHD (Old Staple Hole Defense). He came in mad at ME cause state return was mailed back to him with a request for the W-2(s). Had that air that said, "You incompetent fool." (You know that air.)

I calmly pointed out the staple holes where I had done my job and said, "Why, those bumbling idiots at the Dept of Revenue must have removed the W-2's so they could send you this letter. They do that sometimes when it gets slow and they need something else to do."

His face turned red. I made a copy of the W-2's and stapled to the return. I made sure to make new holes. Smiled sweetly. Never saw him again. Too bad. Great guy.
            If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

In my office we fill out a tax document worksheet.

It lists all documents with income.. w2s, 1099s, etc with the dollar amounts of each.

I've done this for the last 3 years... and this problem has magically disappeared!

Chris
              Last edited by spanel; 02-25-2011, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Discreetly placed checkmarks with an oddly colored ink.

Comment

I scan all documents (applicable of course - not going to scan 20 medical receipts) and save on a CD as a PDF and give to client.This may take some time, maybe 5 - 7 minutes per return, but I believe it is worth it. Handles those dusputes quite well, and I always have their info to look back on if there is ever a question. It takes the place of having workpapers - but by the sound of things around here, most don't prepare workpapers/file. I will take notes on their documents, calculations and such, that way I can refference things from my computer.

Jay

Comment

My interview questionnaire has space for me to write down the number of W-2s, 1099-INTs, 1099-DIVs...etc..that my client has given me during the visit. So I can always point the number to them and say "Look, you have only given me 3 W-2s, not 4. And that's why I have written down the number 3 here". Usually it is enough to convince them.

Comment

Originally posted by Edsel View Post
                      Here's one way to handle it, although we don't have to be as trite as I suggest below:

"You didn't give it to me." Bottom line effect: I don't have it.
                      "You did give it to me and I lost it." Bottom line effect: I don't have it.

Now that we're at exactly the same place in the journey, how do we get it and finish your tax return?
                      I like this a lot and have used it before!!!

Originally posted by AJsTax View Post
                      80% of my clients if I required them to have email address. I dont even scan any documents. tried to , lost everything when backup hard drive failed. not worht the extra time and effort.
                      We have a high speed scanner (not as much as you might think) that scans both sides, all sizes-including business cards, color, etc......can take our largest files and scan it in seconds, literally, under a minute for dozens of pages and W2's!!! Back up, you say? We simply use external drives on both the scan computer and then the ones we transfer it to, plus a 3rd off site external drive that gets updated every few weeks....impossible to lose information and haven't lost anything yet....our office is completely paperless and was the best thing my office could have done over a year ago....incredible.

Originally posted by spanel View Post
                      In my office we fill out a tax document worksheet.

It lists all documents with income.. w2s, 1099s, etc with the dollar amounts of each.

I've done this for the last 3 years... and this problem has magically disappeared!

Chris
                      Just wonder about the time it takes.

Originally posted by jaybird View Post
                      I scan all documents (applicable of course - not going to scan 20 medical receipts) and save on a CD as a PDF and give to client.This may take some time, maybe 5 - 7 minutes per return, but I believe it is worth it. Handles those dusputes quite well, and I always have their info to look back on if there is ever a question. It takes the place of having workpapers - but by the sound of things around here, most don't prepare workpapers/file. I will take notes on their documents, calculations and such, that way I can refference things from my computer.

Jay
                      Fixed as described above.

Originally posted by Questionguy101 View Post
                      My interview questionnaire has space for me to write down the number of W-2s, 1099-INTs, 1099-DIVs...etc..that my client has given me during the visit. So I can always point the number to them and say "Look, you have only given me 3 W-2s, not 4. And that's why I have written down the number 3 here". Usually it is enough to convince them.
                      Again, wonder how much time this would add.

Comment

I scan every only document too. I wouldn't have the patience to manually log in every document. I've been at this game a long time and have lost only one client document that I know of.

I simply tell a client that I have procedures for handling client documents and simply do not lose them. The mishandling has to be on their part, period.

Don't give an inch or they'll always think you did something wrong. Ten years from today if something comes up missing they'll be convinced it's your fault.
                        Last edited by ttbtaxes; 02-26-2011, 06:26 PM.

Comment

I say; 'I'm usually very careful with client's documents but at any rate I can't find it here. Can you either look again or get a replacement?' 9 times out of ten, lo and behold, they find it in their stuff.

But if they get a letter about missing income, and say they did give it to me, I look in my notes and can tell them no. I couldn't figure out a system of stapling or coding - not one I would remember anyway. While people are in front of me all I do (after people on this board suggested different ways as they did here) is say now you gave me 3 W-2's, and write down "3" and 4 1099's and write down "4". I also do this with unemployment 1099G's. It take no time to write down this number. For anything else I can refer to the copied docs.
                          JG

Comment

Working...
                          X